Why would I buy an iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 01jamcon, Aug 11, 2008.

1. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

compared to something like this?

What you guys say? This is a computer for my dad, he's been a Windows user so far, doesn't do anything more than the usual web surfing, light photo work etc. Luckily, he isn't stuck in his ways and he likes a lot of stuff he's seen on my Macbook, (the iLife suite mostly appeals, as both my parents aren't anywhere close to being technically minded).

The PC on paper is waaay better in terms of specs compared to anything Mac based for around the £750 it would cost for a great PC setup with a 22 inch screen. I know they don't need the power, but Bluray drive, 3gb or RAM, 2.4ghz Quad core, 1TB hard drive is amazing for the price and would last way into the future for their needs.

So the question is, spend less and get the technically superior PC, or spend more on the easy to use Mac OS and more elegant hardware?

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

What does he want? Is he okay with a Mac/OS X?

I think Blu-Ray on a PC/Mac is way overrated IMHO. I have a 42" LCD HDTV, why do I need PC with it? To me the deal breaker is OS X. Yeah, there are a number of PC's with higher specs, etc., etc., etc. There are a million posts on this site alone. But you end up with Vista...blah. I for one have had it with PC's and Windoze. No more viruses, or "Patch Tuesdays", or "Defragging" until you can't stand it anymore...

If he's used to Vista, and learning is an issue, then stick with it. If he's used XP in the past, but just needs a new PC, and he has to learn something new anyway? Go OS X, and a MB, or iMac...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wirelessly posted (BB-8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Depends on if you want fly hardware and vista, or lesser hardware and OS X. What do your parents think? Do they have any input on the issue?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If I were helping make this decision for my own parents, who are probably similar to yours as far as computer use is concerned, then I would go with the iMac. This is based on the belief that OSX is and will continue to provide a better computing experience.

They'd be looking to have it last 6-10 years and I feel that 3 or so years down the line the hardware differences will be irrelevant in regards to their overall computing experience. A couple of hundred pounds, while maybe a little off putting up front, would also be negligble over this period for my parents.

5. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

Well, this is the forum to come to for an unbiased answer.

:)

6. SkiHound macrumors member

I'm a recent switcher. I'm still using an XP Pro machine at work and I do use some software that doesn't run under OS-X. However, the work software I most rely on has been ported so OS-X and I purchased an iMac for home. Just didn't want to deal with Vista and had been frustrated by how everything wanted to "take over" my old XP based laptop. I think one of the big pluses for the Mac is that you get an integrated software system that is stable. I think the lLife suite of programs is really good for those with normal day to day needs. Mail works well with the calender program and iPhoto. iPhoto is pretty user friendly. In short, for doing the things it sounds like the computer would be used for the Mac comes with good software. I've found the system to be very stable. There will be a learning curve though I think there would be some learning curve going from XP to Vista.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL, it's not techically superior. Try to open 100 5mb jpegs using windows and you'll see.

Also, wait until the pc slows down inexplicably due to windows, or get infected with viruses, or both.

8. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

That's a very good point, the old PC is XP, and he's actually spent more time using my Macbook and OSX, than Vista, I'm not even sure if he's used Vista at all if his work computers haven't been upgraded yet.

I personally think Vista's alright, like another poster described it: "blah". I obviously prefer OSX, but I'm not convinced my parents will be as 'able' to see the better software. I'm sure there's going to be some kind of learning curve whichever they pick, but if they go with Vista, at least they won't have any high expectations being let down, but if anything is confusing on a Mac, they'll come running to me complaining that they should've stuck with the rubbish they already know.

Yes its a Mac forum, yes most people will say Mac, but hopefully there's going to be some level-headedness in some people's answers. Plus, have you ever been on a Windows forum? Most of their posters are either brain dead or live only for hyper gaming rigs and dismiss anything else.

Uhm, the hardware IS better, that cannot be your argument. You're saying that the OS on top of the hardware couldn't handle the task. I don't know about you, but I've never felt the need to open 100 5mb jpegs on Mac or Windows, ever. I'm pretty certain my parent's wouldn't want to either. A more useful answer would've been something like, iPhoto is a useful program for storing, viewing and light editing of photos in a slick interface.

Viruses are obviously more of a Windows problem, but Vista is more solid than you might think, plus, I like to set them up with decent anti-virus and firewall stuff before they use any PC, and in the 5 years of owning the old box, they haven't had a single virus. Then again, OSX doesn't even require anti-virus programs.

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure they'll be able to see a difference between OS X and Windows in that OS X is easier, but they are so used to Windows at first the way OS X does things may seem harder. It all depends on what they want too. If your parents are at all interested in the iLife sweet and would use iPhoto or iMovie then I think it might be worthwhile to get a Mac, but it depends on what they want.

That's the thing as well because even if your parents are used to anti virus software it doesn't mean that continuing to use it would be a good solution since often times virus software takes up system resources. Also take into account that your parents might get frustrated with Vista's User Account Control which gets *really* annoying after awhile (and I know it can be turned off). Vista isn't that bad as people make it seem, but it certainly isn't as good as an OS 6 years in the making should be.

10. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Switching for the first time will be daunting, but once they get over the initial jolt of difference, you're right, they will see OSX is easier to use, I'll just need to put in some effort in helping them understand some of the changes at first.

They are interested in the iLife stuff, mostly iPhoto, and its good to know that once they get the hang of something, they tend to remember it, and I'm sure the iLife suite is easy enough to get the hang of.

They did kind of give me the decision because my dad gets frustrated with the freezing and crashes from time to time in Windows, and he isn't that bothered to learn a new OS.

Anybody think the iMac specs will be bumped in the next 2-3 months or so? Cause that would make the decision a bit easier to justify.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't let that factor too much into it. Murphy's Law states that specs will be bumped the day you receive the computer. There's always something slightly faster and shinier around the corner. If you need it now, get it now. If you can wait, wait.

12. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I know, whatever you buy today will be outdated by tomorrow. The computer they have is slowly dying (hard drive probably), but it isn't vitally needed, like I said, maybe within the next 2 to 3 months. Whichever they do get eventually, the specs of either the iMac or PC will be overkill for their needs, I would've gone down the Mac Mini route if it wasn't that the iMac design was quite a attraction to them, plus, the Mini really does need an upgrade of some kind before I recommend that.

13. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised at relatively unbiased this forum can be because often times in threads like these people recognize that PCs have their merits.

14. jroller macrumors regular

The short answer: OS X

Specs are not important to your dad, based on what you wrote. What is important is a computer that is secure (without him having to be a security genius) and that simply works. I contend that is what you pay for when you buy the Mac over a machine with "better specs."

15. bergmont macrumors newbie

Ease of Support

I had this same quandary with my parents a few years ago. What it really came down to was ease of support and connectivity.

My parents live 1900 km away, and PCs can be extremely difficult to support (I've stumped our own corporate IS group a few times with issues). With OS X (10.5) I can remotely view and take control of my parents' computer anytime they have problems, and in 15 years of being a Mac user, I've never come across a problem that I couldn't resolve. PCs on the other hand...I have had a number of PCs reformatted, both at my request and under the advice of our IS group. Windows just isn't a stable and easy to use and support as OS X.

Another bonus is that with the Mac it's much easier to connect. We can iChat with a single click so it's easy for grandma and grandpa to see the kids. It's just not that simple on a PC.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The other thing to remember is when you come to replace the machine, a Mac will have a far better resale value than a PC

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The PC hardware is much better. I guess you just have to learn that hardware doesn't make a computer, its software that makes the computer, and thats what Macs have, amazing software.

Not to mention other little niggles like the iMac looks nicer, will last you a lot longer, and you will be able to sell it at a huge resale value, whereas in 3 months you would be lucky if you got half of what you paid for that PC. I mean 2 years later and the Mac Pro has lost $500 off its original price $2499 price, now thats what you call resale value.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

From all the info you've provided I think your parents are ripe for a switch. When I talked a friend into switching to OS X last fall I was a bit worried at first because she wasn't the most technologically advanced person I had ever met. All I explained to her was how to run/quit/install programs and eject drives, and she was good to go. I wish I could switch all of my friends.

19. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You could load Picasa on their current XP machine and ask them if they could live with that instead of iPhoto. If they really like iPhoto better, then your job is easier since they will basically be making the decision for themselves.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would say Mac, not because of the hardware, but it's easier to use. I currently volunteer at my local library and have senior citizens buy a computer similar to the one you've shown. Now, I'm not trying to insult your parents in any way, but I'm just saying it's easier to use, myself included. I put XP via Boot Camp and the ratio of me using it is pretty low... much lower than the Macs overall market share.

With that being said, you might want him to switch completely, since he is a XP user. Just the base model should be fine. A computer is not made by the hardware, since those are just parts and pieces, but by the software that binds them together to work as a team and produce visual effects (monitors) that we can interpret and give feedback to.

21. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

You can always wipe vista off the drive and install XP and dual boot with Ubuntu, or something. It's not like you'll be stuck with the OS if you don't like it.