Why would I want to Jailbreak??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gix1k, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I read what it is...What advantages and disadvantages come from doing this??

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Advantages: activate as iPod touch with a camera without phone service, put on unauthorized apps, mess with settings, mess with themes, unlock (separate idea)

Disadvantages: Warrantee is void unless you restore to factory settings before returning to Apple

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

What do you mean? You will still retain the warranty as long as you reset your firmware. How tough is that?

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

There is the disadvantage that if you get stuck on something and for any reason you can't figure out how to continue or how to back out of it, you'll ultimately have to rely on your own technical abilities and the kindness of fellow hackers, because you cannot rely on any formal customer support arrangements to provide guidance.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:confused:Couldnt get that Skil!

But all in all.... I see no reason to unlock unless you're getting bored and have nothing else to do!

7. Causality macrumors newbie

Causality

Advantage: I love having access to a mobile terminal, using SSH to transfer eBooks and roms and stuff, being able to customize the look of the iPhone OS, being able to download YouTube videos, etc.

Disadvantages: Upgrading to newer software versions can be a pain. You have to wait longer, and then sometimes you have to totally restore your iPod/phone.

All-in-all I really love the ability to take better advantage of the iPod/phone's capabilities.

8. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

9. Causality macrumors newbie

Causality

Plus showing your friends a hacked iTouch just makes you look way cooler.

10. hansvon macrumors member

That's a big 10-4. I showed my unjailbroken friend the Vending Machine layout, as well as Tris, and she was all "AWWWW WOW." My device has become simply amazing because of it.

I'm looking get the $10 upgrade and then jb with winpwn though, see if i can get the best of both worlds.

(And while I'm at it, IS the app store that great? Like, worth the $10? Or can I basically just stick with my JB 1.1.4 and I'll be fine?)

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I think 2.0 is definitely worth it, although it is a bit more buggy. The app store is nice, and it is growing at a much faster rate than the jailbreak apps, which are shrinking in amount.

12. Big Willie macrumors member

Link? :(

13. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

What is he talking about?? Not jailed, but a diff layout....describe?? Oh, no more appstore after the break??

14. hansvon macrumors member

[​IMG]

It's a summerboard theme from one of the standard sources, ModMyiFone.com (I have JB 1.1.4, I haven't updated to 2.0.....yet)