Why would one want an ssh toggle

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aliensarecool, Feb 27, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

What is wrong with it always being on? Maybe I don't understand it fully, even after searching

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

OpenSSH starts up everytime an iPhone is rebooted or turned on.
    Unless one changes the root and mobile passwords, there is a vulnerability of an intrusion.
    If one changes the passwords, there is little risk of an intrusion.
    Turning it off might save some battery usage also.

3. OceanView macrumors 65816

how do you change the password on 5.0.1? mobilterminal does not work anymore

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

On the main Cydia page there are some links to the bottom. One of them shows how to change the password.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As DH said, first you are expose even with a changed password, if a new vulnerability become public, your phone will be there like a house with a wide open door. Second the "daemon" is always working (the part of the server that listen all the time for incoming connections) as any service running in the background it will consume battery.

now i ask you a question, what is wrong with having disable, and enable it just when you need it? how often do you really access your device?

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If one is worried about it, and knows they will log in from a certain set of machines, just configure sshd to disallow passwords. That way, a would-be intruder isn't going to have any way to get in without access to your other boxes.

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

For some reason, I am unable to get past the login password prompt when using putty. I typed alpine but it keeps saying the password is wrong.

Any ideas?

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Username should be 'root' sans quotes. I don't know if that's what you did. Also, make sure SSH is ON (been there done that, hah). Also, check to make sure you're on the right network.

9. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

to change the password:

login via SSH from terminal or equivalent with mobile as user
    type in 'passwd'
    change the password from alpine to whatever you want.
    then logout
    log back in via SSH with root as user
    type in 'passwd'... etc repeat, and then your SSH should be safe.

I'd still disable SSH port when not using it though, just as a habit of security.

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

11. OceanView macrumors 65816

THANKS GUYS! That worked! :)

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

While I don't really agree that OpenSSH with changed passwords leaves you open to exploit, with the newest iFunBox, using OpenSSH is now a 2nd choice.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just look it up, it happen last week, before they push an update, exploits are found all the time on any software (same reason why we have jailbreak on the first place)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Funny I knew who the TS was just by the title.

15. LoloBond macrumors 6502

hmmm I didn't know there was a mobile password. thanks!