Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Actually everytime I have used them they make me verify my vehicle information that I have provided prior. Interesting.

The same with me. I lost the key to my Acura, and they made me tell them when and where I bought the car, checked their purchase records, and made me show them my driver license before they would take my order to have a new electronic key made. It bugged me at first but then I realized they were doing it to protect Acura owners and I calmed down. They start with the assumption that people may not be who they say they are and check ID.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The same with me. I lost the key to my Acura, and they made me tell them when and where I bought the car, checked their purchase records, and made me show them my driver license before they would take my order to have a new electronic key made. It bugged me at first but then I realized they were doing it to protect Acura owners and I calmed down. They start with the assumption that people may not be who they say they are and check ID.

I think that's a difference between AAA that the other posts were talking about and car dealerships.

I am going to be the resident jerk here and ask for this thread to be closed. It is going off topic in which there wasn't a real topic to begin with. It seems to me that the OP was just looking to make public his interpretation of the forum rules in which was already discussed with him in a PM by a moderator.

I think a discussion would be warranted if the OP had originally phrased his post my saying "this thread I have referenced seems to break forum rules, is it right for it to be allowed" instead just decided to make public his dislikes when he didn't receive the answer he wanted in the PM. I'm not trying to flame or anything like that, I just think this thread is not needed due to the fact that A) the OP's concerns were already addressed in a PM from a Mod, and B) did not follow the rules himself in reporting the thread he questioned originally... He reported it after he made this topic and only after being told that he should have reported it if he thought there was a rule violation.

I would have been more than happy to discuss this but in his original post it did not seem he wanted to discuss anything, and in-fact he just wanted to make his displeasure of forum policy known.

Sorry for the rant. But I made my mistakes about forum policy and learned my lessons. well, maybe not completely.... I'm stubborn :(

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
OP: by assuming that the "artist" was not the legal owner of the iPhone you are assuming the person is trying to do something illegal without even knowing the facts.

Is this covered by any of the forum rules? Something like respect the other macrumors members?

Once I first read this thread the first thing that came to my mind was the "locked keys in the car" situation as mentioned by other persons.

Also I participated in the discussion of the artist locked iPhone, and one good point to add is that many forum members are focused on attacking instead of helping or adding something positive to the discussion.

in my case I found very interesting that you can get your iPhone's photos out of your pasword locked iPhone in Windows XP without even unlocking the phone?
This is very interesting to discuss, as it is to understand what are the boundaries of the iPhone security, and how safe your data/photos really are.

As you mention we always learn from the discussion.

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Actually everytime I have used them they make me verify my vehicle information that I have provided prior. Interesting.

If they did not, and they helped you steal someones car, THEY would be liable.

You have to be a AAA member to use AAA, they KNOW who you are. You are not an anonymous poster, saying "please help me, you big smart hackers, I'm all locked out, kissey kissey".

So yeah, I see the relevance, but it's really not the same thing.

At the end of the day, it's clear that Arn doesn't care.

My choice is to seek better waters.

I hope you have fun. To me, ethics count.

This place just seems all about cliques and control.

I'm a grown man, I don't play this crap.

Dear "mods". Please delete my account.

Thanks

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

You have to be a AAA member to use AAA, they KNOW who you are. You are not an anonymous poster, saying "please help me, you big smart hackers, I'm all locked out, kissey kissey".

Thanks

Take care and thanks for being a martyr..

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Asks for discussions...everything that is different from my opinion is worthless.
Base arguments on forum rules...brakes forum rules.

It's very ethical to post saying that someone is doing something illegal without any hard fact.

Please join a forum where you can post only after 3 independet accredited parties certifiy that you are saying the truth.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Thanks

I agree with you, I was merely pointing it in reference to the AAA example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.