Why would somebody prefer a optical drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjeff8, Dec 23, 2012.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Is there any advantages to having a optical drive. I was shown a test between a 15" rMBP with a ssd and a new 15" MBP with a optical drive. The test was how long it took to open some huge photography program. The ssd drive opened it in 10 seconds. The optical took 50 seconds. On a couple of posts here people were insinuating that they prefer a optical drive. I ask why?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Optical drives allow you to rip music or video off of CD's or DVD's, they let you easily and quickly backup files in a permanent(ish) storage device, and if you're an audiophile, no MP3 off of iTunes is going to cut it.

They're also handy if you have any DVD's.

Finally, there's no reason why you can't use an SSD and an optical drive, so really the only benefit to losing the DVD drive is a slightly thinner laptop.

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I think you have the optical drive and hard drive mixed up.

4. adjeff8, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yes. Stupid me. I do have them mixed up. So the optical drive is the CD/Dvd drive. I feel pretty dumb.

As long as we are on the subject, I'm drooling for the 15" retina, but it chaffs my ass that there is no optical drive on it. I work in film production and every day they bring me dailies, the footage we shot the day before, on a DVD. This time of year the DGA sends me every movie up for consideration on DVDs. Further more I work around the world and in some of these far off places there's only the Ethernet cable option. Apple has a way of pushing us into the future years before the rest of the world is prepared to catch up. Also, the lower end retina, which is still $2,199, comes with 256 gigs. I've seen posts here of peeps getting the 2.6 ghz with a 256 gig. My 5 year old MacBook Pro has 256 gigs. They are charging so much, why is this even a issue? A laptop that costs $2,500 after taxes, without even a Ram upgrade, should have more than 256 gigs by now. Shouldn't it?

Ok, I've vented

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

External DVD drive from apple?

My MBP has two hard drives and the DVD was removed and I use it as an external drive now. Works great

6. mfram macrumors 65816

Get the classic MBP with the optical drive and get it configured with an SSD. Then you get everything you want.

7. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yes. I've been considering that. Something about getting the last of a certain technology instead of the 2nd of the future has leaves me with trepidation. I have time to think, but I'm guessing that ill end up getting the 2nd generation retina and a external optical drive, which sucks, but... As far as the Ethernet port goes, I guess when I'm in that situation, wherever I may be, the production company will just have to spring for a router, if that's even possible. Sure would be sweet if the rMBP had 4g capabilities. I suppose I could tether from my iPhone. I'm just not quite as savvy as all you guys. But I'll figure it out.

On that subject, what would be the best external optical drive to get?