Why would TEXTEDIT access the internet? Norton Firewall blocked it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by philmiami, Mar 19, 2011.

1. philmiami macrumors newbie

This is puzzling to me.....
    why would TEXTEDIT on a normal .txt file that I was editing (about 6k worth) of just some useless info I like to remember try to access the internet?
    My Norton (from Comcast) asked for permission for the app to access the internet...
    I BLOCKED it.
    I have google'd and can not find any posting about anyone else EVER noticing this happening on this app.
    Does it happen on other apps? Is my MBP uni trying to call home for Apple to spy on me?
    philmiami
    (if this needs to be moved to another part of the forums please let me know also)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The reason that nobody else reported this behavior with Text Edit is that nobody else is using "My Norton." My suggestion to you is to disable and uninstall "My Norton." Just because Comcast provides it doesn't mean that you have to use it.

3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Lots of apps will use the Internet to poll a central database to see if it's the latest version. I don't know that TextEdit is likely doing that, but it's likely.

mt

4. redhotline macrumors newbie

5. KirkL macrumors 6502

LOL

Relax, you're fine.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have stated, don't use ANYTHING Norton/Symantec. They are famous for false positives and in many cases, using Symantec products is worse than having no protection on your computer.

Having dealt with Symantec (Norton is from the same company) for many many years in IT I can tell you they put out nothing but useless garbage. We even had to call Symantec numerous times and ask why their programs found nothing at all (even though our PC's on our network were always getting infected).

Plus you are on a Mac, no need to worry about viruses/spyware.

8. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

9. tcador macrumors regular

Yeah it's like signing up for a slow down of your entire system with no added benefit.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd probably say that is checking to see if there's an update available. Just about every app now seems to do that.

As others stated since there's no other reports of issues, I'd say its that POS Norton.

11. afd macrumors 6502a

I installed little snitch a couple of months ago, and it seemed that pretty much every app i ran connected to the net, so i'd imagine textedit will be no different.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Seems these days all applications get online at some point. Often times it's for statistics or for updates.