Why would the new iPhone release during WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrjr80, Jun 3, 2010.

1. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

Some seem to think that Apple is going to make the new Phone available for purchase during the WWDC. I'm wondering what the basis is for this belief?

It obviously isn't consistent with previous iPhone refreshes and to me personally it seems even less likely this time for several reasons:

1. A new form factor. It seems like Apple would want at least a few weeks to hype the new design, although it could be argued that this was accomplished already because of the lost prototype.

2. Features in high demand such as a flash, higher resolution camera and a front facing camera. Again, these are things that I would assume they'd want to hype up prior to release.

3. Long awaited OS additions, like the multitasking.

4. Pre-ordering online and in-store reservations. This is something that was pushed last year and seemed to work fairly well.

5. No hype generating line-ups. Every iPhone release thus far has had a line-up of some type. Apple even encourages this at their stores by giving out food and drinks. A sudden release would seem to impact such line-ups.

6. Recent plan changes from AT&T. Although I don't really think Apple cares much for AT&T, a release during the WWDC might hinder their opportunity to convey all of this to potential iPhone customers.

So, I am having trouble understanding how a release during WWDC would greatly benefit Apple. Is it just wishful thinking on the part of some, or is there more concrete evidence that I am missing?

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Of course the new iPhone won't be available then. You have to remember, AT&T employees have to go through training for the new phone. If anything, the OS could be available then. Chances are the new iPhone will be able two to three weeks later.

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

There are also many news teams around cities that are given the heads up to these launches. Every year that I have lined up, it seems that I see news trucks driving all around the city, especially Apple stores, to get some footage of these launches.

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

If anything I've seen more people speculate that the new iPhone will be released the week after the WWDC, but okay.

5. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Of course it won't be released during WWDC. It will be released AFTER WWDC. Either that Friday or the Friday after that. My bets on that Friday since it would be a waste if an ATT employee couldn't vacation for the first 1 week of June. There's 4 days left till WWDC. I'm freakin out.

6. nitromaxx macrumors member

I have to agree. I also find it hard to believe the new iPhone will launch during WWDC. While I think iPhone OS4 is close to completion, we still haven't seen a GM version. And surely Apple wouldn't ship new handsets without the new OS. I think it'll be a week or two, with my guess being either the 18th or 25th. Just my two cents.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I would be soooo happy if it was the 11th, but my bet is on the 18th.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My bet is on the 18th as well with the 25th being the absolute latest :D

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

True, they usually DON'T get released until sometime AFTER wwdc. SJ couldn't stand to announce that they were available right away, and have half the audience get up and leave (to go get their new phone).

10. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

11. QuietlyReserved macrumors newbie

The new iPhone will be announced at the WWDC (June 7) not released