Why would there be a smaller iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhalandrew, Feb 14, 2012.

1. iPhalandrew macrumors member

i don't understand why people are thinking about an iPad with a smaller screen. Isn't a smaller iPad an iPhone!?!?!?!? and if they did....every app developer would have to create apps with ANOTHER new size! it doesn't make any sense! does anyone else agree with me?

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Yes but you see the 7.85 iPad would be perfect it would be cheaper and more portable so i guess a 7.85 should be added

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I would like a smaller iPad.

Why do you think that smaller = the size of an iPhone? I'd like something in between.

4. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

I'd take a 1024x768 7.85 inch iPad over a 9.7 inch retina iPad if both have the same internal hardware (quadcore + 1 gig RAM). I find the iPad to heavy and bulky while the other 7" tablet are too small. 7.85 would be the ideal size.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Really unlikely. Jobs was adamant about the size of both the iPad and iPhone as being the sweet spot for both devices. I suspect they will continue to yield the middle to the rest of the players in the marketplace.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think a 7" iPad could work. but again the biggest concern with this is fragmentation of the app store. if they could solve that problem it could work easy enough.

8. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

If I did NOT own an iPhone, I would def want the smaller iPad. I like having current size at home but for travel or for someone carrying one almost everyday, I think there are still many people who may opt for smaller size.

9. Stetrain, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

What apps would you use on this smaller iPad? I guess games and such built for the iPad 1-2 would work pretty well, but apps with toolbar icons that are fingertip sized on the iPad 2 would be hard to use on a smaller iPad.

Sure, developers could rework their apps for the same device, but they're already apparently going to be reworking them for the retina display iPad 3.

I think it's taken long enough as it is to build up the iPad app store, why mess that up?

Another thing is the hardware itself. A 7" iPad would not be like a smaller-to-scale iPad 2. To run the backlight and internal components would use almost the same amount of power (slightly less because of slightly smaller screen backlight). It would need a battery almost as big as the standard iPad. The logic board would be the same size as a standard iPad, and so would all of the connectors. The screen bezel would be just as wide on the 7" iPad as on the full sized one because your thumb is still the same width even though you're using a smaller screen.

You would end up with a device just as thick as the iPad 2 (or thicker!) but scaled down in the other two dimensions. It would feel chunky compared to the iPad 2. If you've held a Kindle Fire you'll know what I mean.

10. urkel, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Tablets are still a very new category that is still trying to determine it's position in the lives of everyone from children to students to business to seniors. So why is it that the iPad is already declared to be "perfect the way it is" and should never change?

We went through the same silly garbage with the Macbook Air. Apple introduced an ultra slim notebook that seemed to be the pinnacle or portability and when people discussed netbook sizes then they were met with arguments of how "it can't get smaller and remain functional" or "nobody wants that". A few years later the 11" MBA comes out and it's an amazingly popular product that offers the same experience as a 13" but is more portable.

Here we are again with the 7" iPad debate and here we are again with people declaring what will and won't work based on nothing but what they see on store shelves. Just because a person may not have a need for an 7" or 12" iPad but if that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Especially in such a new product category that has yet to finish maturing.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I never said it wouldn't work, only that Apple has no reason to do it.

The price would stay about the same as the existing iPad and battery life would drop by 30% or more.

They are destroying the competition with the current size - shipping more than 170,000 units every single day. Why take away any manufacturing capacity from their existing devices to support a smaller device.

Until demand could reach numbers where they would be able to sell 5m in a quarter, it would be a waste of their time.

The developer community would also have to convert all iPad apps - they will not simply scale smaller as the finger tip touch area would shrink too small.... iPhone apps would look goofy - just like they do on the iPad today - so it really would mean fracturing the universe for no good reason.

No one is selling any interesting numbers in that size today.

12. snow blind macrumors regular

No a 6.349928980 inch iPad would be best. God people... buy an iPhone or a Touch if you want a smaller iPad :rolleyes:

13. urkel macrumors 68030

People using the "iPod Touch is an iPad Mini" argument are clueless as to what is actually being discussed.

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

A smaller iPad would keep the same resolution of the iPad 2, this way apps will still work.

Im guessing it was Steve who was absolutely against bringout a smaller tablet, he dragged his feet with iTunes for Windows (it took them months to persuade him) Apple wanted to make iTunes for Android but Steve refused. Now he's gone Apple will probably start doing things they said they wouldnt. That or they saw the success the Kindle Fire is having and wanted a segment of the smaller tablet market.

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

A smaller iPad would carry inferior specs. Otherwise it would cannibalize its older brother, and surely Apple doesn't want that.

If anything we can expect a smaller and old in hardware, though cheaper, iPad not from Apple but from companies who are trying to get serious in this business.

This is why we'll never see this happening, in my opinion.

16. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

What is actually being discussed? I gather gather that some people want a cheaper, lighter iPad with a smaller screen and a shorter battery life. Something that won't run current iPad apps. Such things exist. The Kindle Fire is probably the best of them. What's wrong with the existing solutions?

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

It's irrelevant whether I think it make sense. Its up to Apple to determine if there is a market for a new size. I like the Galaxy 7.7 tablet they have now, for those of use that like portability. Apple calls the shots. ;)

Try not to lose sleep over this. Its only tablet folks

18. snow blind macrumors regular

Oh, we get it. You gather you need the "true portability" only offered by something ~2" shorter in dimension... that it will unburden you and increase your public park/beach e-reading productivity. You want something too big to put into your pocket... yet too small to have adequate screen real estate for most apps and games. /snarkiness

I do apologize for the tone... I just don't really see the appeal when the iPad is no bigger than a small magazine and the iPhone fits in your pocket :confused:

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

No, it would not. The finger touch area would be too small - in fact it would violate Apple's User Interface Guidelines.

20. The Loafer macrumors newbie

For some, the ipod touch is simply too small to be productive. My own eyes at my tender age of 48 don't handle the iphone/touch size very well. On the iphone, it does the job because I'm not going to start creating a whole lot of documents, the same can be said of the touch, but the ipad is a different beast, it's primary purpose really is to consume/create.

Botton line though, there is obviously a market for a smaller iPad, sales of the other smaller devices proves there is a market need for these (price is not the only reason why!). Maybe not for you, or for me but for a lot of other people. Although you still can't fit it in your pocket, it probably fits in a lot of purses out there ;) and with the smaller screen, maybe it can be priced $100 less and fit that market.

BTW, can someone explain the logic behind how it's determined a smaller ipad would fragment the market? If it uses the same CPU/GPU, the same ram and the same resolution, the only thing probably affected is battery life and the only difference aside from size of the device is the pixel size which are smaller. The screen real-estate if it's an 8" device would be no different,just items are a bit smaller. 8" is not that big a difference from the standard ipad that it needs to have its own resolution. Ipad 1/2 and ipad mini should have zero development incompatibilities.

----------

Though it may be true, I've not heard of this before. Selecting icons,etc on my iphone requires me to make minor adjustments, for example, the onscreen keyboard's keys are much smaller on the iphone than the ipad. I would think an 8" ipad would not be that different, though I acknowledge I may be totally off base in my own "mind's eye" view of how the interface would still be workable.

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The icons on the iPhone and iPad are the same size. iPad apps are not shrunk to fit the phone. The iPad gives us developers more real estate to work with. Keeping the iPad resolution and shrinking the device would make many applications unusable without a stylus.

And that $100 price reduction is not going to happen from a parts cost reduction. Apple would have to be willing to make less money on the device to drop the price by $100. If anything a smaller iPad would cost more simply because of the significantly lower volumes.

I just don't see any economic reason to do it from Apple's perspective when the total volume sales of all smaller tablet competitors is so small.

The market just has not emerged.

22. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Why would you need a stylus just because the screen size gets smaller but same resolution? I don't understand the logic, aslong as everything is the same size, why would it be any harder and have to use a stylus? Just curious on how it works as you seem to be a developer of what you have said in here. I mean iphone 3G/3GS and iphone 4/4S uses the same size screen but one has twice the resolution and pushing the screen isn't any harder on neither.. So that's why i don't see the logic in what you are trying to convince us in here, if you see my point :)

I recently read about apple trying out a new ipad with around 8" screen that is said to have the same resolution as the ipad.. I don't understand the market for those tablets either, as it just becomes too much choice.. and honestly 600grams ipad aren't heavy or anything to carry around, as some people in here is saying, that is just a huge overreaction, if someone thinks that, then they should definately see what's wrong with them :p it's not directed to you witt, so don't bother that :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really like the size of the Kindle Fire or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. I would love to see an iPad in the 7 to 8 inch range.

24. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

When I purchased an iPad 2 I took it back to the store the next day. I understand people love it, but to me it was to heavy and bulky to be used as a tablet, even though though I am 6-3. I love my macbook air 13 inch, but that iPad design did not work for me. I recently purchased the kindle fire for my wife, its a perfect size for her and she needs flash for taking college classes online. I tried it out and loved the size and weight, it was perfect. I thought to my self if only this machine had a flavor of IOS on it. As time progresses I predict you will see multiple iPad sizes just like there are for macbook pros. In this high end market people expect things to fit like a glove.

25. snow blind macrumors regular

I can see what everyone is saying... and maybe those few square inches make the difference... but after hours of hands on with the Fire (appropriate iPad mini size) I have to say that personally it felt like an odd, too small in-between. Here's the iPhone/Fire/iPad for reference.[​IMG]