Why would you buy a 2011 MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cassady, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

This is a sincere question -- I'm hoping it's not viewed as being provocative in any fashion.

I am a very happy owner of a mid-2012 13" cMBP.
    But I would be lying if I didn't admit to sometimes wanting more screen real estate!

Forgetting for a moment the benefits of trying to look at more current machines - fact is, round these parts, increasing numbers of 2011 15"s are starting to hit the 2nd hand market, and they are often to be had at a decent price, compared to 2012 13" machines...

This being said, I think plenty of regulars on this forum are aware of the issues with the 2011 range. It has seen me stop reading any further, in a classifieds ad, as soon as the MBP is identified as a 2011 model.

I'm simply too nervous that I'd buy it (and most of them would be out of warranty) - only for things to go south, and have me start doing research on re-balling etc. etc.

So my question is simply - what do you all think about how widespread this issue is?

Is it determined largely by whether or not the machine was put through its paces - or can it strike the "only used it for web-browsing" as easily as the "video-production mainstreamer"... Is it widespread enough to have one avoid all 2011 15"s, or would it still be worth it, if the price was right...
    Have any of you tried to get a 2011 price marked down, on the basis that there is no guarantee that Radeon-gate won't hit?

Would be interested to hear some views - especially someone who maybe took the plunge, despite the apparent/alleged risks?

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

In short: no

Long answer: only if there is warranty / applecare left for a good length of time. Otherwise, when Radongate hits it is an economic write off.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't, in fact Apple's track record with dGPUs is so poor lately, that I'd avoid any MBP with a dGPU