Why would you upgrade your macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by B1RDFLU, Jul 18, 2007.

1. B1RDFLU macrumors newbie

In the past few days there has been alot of news of new mobile processors and such coming out. Im wondering for all the people who just purchased the SR MBP what upgrades would it take for you to be convinced to upgrade to the next best thing.

Im looking at waiting till a new graphics card is put in since i like to game alot and thats always the deciding factor for me.:)

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You do realize new graphics cards were put in less then a month and a half ago? Seems to me like you will be waiting forever. I plan to get a couple good years use out of my SR MBP at least. Things are always improving, the upgrades that occurred were just what I was waiting for.

3. Maestro88 macrumors newbie

Exactly, if you need it today, just get it. It's not like there is a new one coming out tomorrow or next week, then you should wait. On the other hand, look at me, I've been waiting for the next revision 8 core mac to come out for at least 18 months. Unlike some, I really do need that much power, and will use it, the current revision with the half pipe bandwidth would not be sufficient, so I'm waiting but man, it's painfully frustrating I can tell you, as even a quad core would make an enormous difference over my dual g5 2.0, but I'm hanging in there! If I could afford to buy it twice, I would have got the quad 7 months ago, and sell and buy the 8 core 2nd revision when it comes out, as it is, I decided to wait purely for financial reasons and time, not wanting to wait for the "old" machine to get sold, and losing money in the process... but yeah, just get what you need today - they are very good machines regardless, and I think the new chips will show a far less performance increase over the current ones than they did on the last gen upgrades from G4 chips which were way out of date.

M.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Get it now, it's the first graphics upgrade on the Macbook Pros ever.
    The Pros have had the same gfx card since they was released as far as i know.
    I guess the 8600m will be in the mpb's for atleast the next 6 months, and probably for the 12 months aswell.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That is probably safe to assume based on the length of time Apple used the X1600 in the previous MacBook Pro(s). :)

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

An affordable blu-ray drive option? Of course by then I'm sure there'll be third party vendors selling them and I can just install the drive myself on my recent MBP that I'm perfectly happy with.

7. B1RDFLU thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have the 2.2 ghz model im just wondering what upgrades it would take to be convinced to get the next one out.

8. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Two things:

Anyone who just bought a MBP should stop worrying about what laptops might be coming out. Just use it and enjoy it and congratulate yourself on having the best laptop ever made yet :D. Wait at least a couple years before even thinking about other computers. Think about it: even since the original MBP the changes have been incremental--if you got the original MBP, you still have a great computer.

The other thing is: just don't bother waiting for a gaming Apple laptop (or really any kind of gaming Apple computer). Apple gaming is getting some attention right now with the recent release announcements, so something is more possible now than at any time in recent memory. But when you consider the Apple's history on this, you really should not bet on it. Keep your expectations low, low, low and there's a 2% chance you'll be pleasantly surprised.