Why would you use a case AND a full body shield.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by detoxguy, Aug 15, 2010.

1. detoxguy macrumors member

Why on earth would somebody use both a full body shield (zagg/bse etc.) and a case? Isn't that overkill? I personally can't stand full body shields as they make it feel like I'm holding a phone covered in saran wrap. I'm just confused as to why both?

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

Some cases actually scratch the phone they are sposed to protect

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

4. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

This.

People sometimes like to use the phone naked, but have a case for transport. Some cases scratch or mark the phone, but do provide drop protection that skins/shields alone do not.

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I got PowerSupport crystal film... I feels like glass and you can not see its there :)

6. chanerz macrumors 6502a

power support front + back and case-mate barely there. love it!

7. bludragon06 macrumors regular

Well I personally would love to run bare. But, seeing all the youtube vids and the complaints on here about their screens shattering scares the doo doo outta me so I run with the speck fitted and the original plastic that came on the front screen till I get the SGP I ordered. Sometimes I wonder if the screens shattering were just a fluke thing like the reception issue. I do have a case on but my 3g was getting 1 bar of reception where as my ip4 is gettin between 2-4 bars. Much better in my opinion. I couldn't be happier with my ip4. This phone is like a ferrari on steroids in comparrison to my 3g (a pinto 4 cylinder running on 2 of those 4=put put put! lol)

8. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

full body shield = scratch protection

case = either more scratch protection or some light drop protection

:D

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I use a case when traveling such as when I'm going to get on a train or plane where people can bump into me sometimes. But, everyday-wise, naked with a screen protector.

10. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

11. chanerz macrumors 6502a

12. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

This.
    LMAO

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Pants are overkill, IMO.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think it depends on the case.

To be short.. If the case leaves the screen or back exposed then I can understand also using a zagg, etc.. If the case was something like an otterbox or whatever where it always protects the screen and back then I'd say it's overkill.

15. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Yeah totally overkill... Unless the back of the phone is made of glass that's easily scratched and there will be little dust particles getting into the case and swooshing around and scratching it.

Proud owner-to-be of an iPhone 4 with Power support on both sides, Luckylabs on the sides, and a case WITH A BACK. Yeah fear me.

16. dirkph macrumors member

I'm with the OP. I really don't understand this either. Sure, everyone's worried about scratching their phone, but Apple designed it to be beautiful, thin, and pleasurable to hold naked. You're definitely ruining the overall user experience by covering up your iPhone with layers of cheap crap.

I left my 3G completely naked the whole time. Obviously I had scratches, but I still sold it just about a month ago for $300. That's not bad. Sure, if it was mint, I'd probably sell it for about $50 more, but who cares? I had the pleasure of using my iPhone the way it's designed to be used. I didn't have to carry extra crap around that made my phone fatter and heavier.

17. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Lol I guess people care more about accidentally dropping it one day and having it break. I think having it broken might "ruin the overall user experience" And then having to pay hundreds of dollars to get it replaced isn't going to be very fun either.

And come on "Pleasurable"?? Really?

18. dirkph macrumors member

Yes, pleasurable. But you also run the risk of breaking your iPhone anyways even with a case on your phone. I dropped my 3G a couple times -- never broke. Scratches, yes... breaking, no.

If my iPhone breaks, so be it. I deserve it. But I'm just going to run that risk and try protecting my phone as much as possible.

19. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Uh it sounds like were on the same side lol. Pro-Bulky-Cases-FTW lol.

20. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I don't want my phone scratched. I take it in and out of 5 different cases depending on my mood or where I'm going.

Another reason is when I'm ready to sell it next June for the iPhone 5 it will look brand new. :)

21. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

+1 :D

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I have an otterbox and I still want to use it with the skin. I'm trying to find a skin that's thin enough to fit.
    When I want to dock my phone in my logitech speaker, it won't fit with the case on. That means I have to lose the protection of my case. I need protection for those times.
    Accidents can still happen at home. I recently dropped my iphone into my recycling bin. If my phone weren't in the Otterbox defender, I shudder to think what would've happened.

23. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E