Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No one knows for sure, but I think that many are predicting that Apple will regularize some kind of yearly launch cycle for the iPad, like the iPhone, and we'll continue to see new iPads sometime in Q1 and new iPhones sometime around Q3 every year. (In other words, I think the whether it will get announced in January / Feb / March is a relatively minor point).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
...Apple announce the iPad3, if factual as reported by DigiTimes http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111228PD215.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter, after only launching the iPad2 in March? Why such a short cycle?

Apple hasn't announced the iPad 3. Unspecified sources are the ones doing so. It's always the analysts that make these claims. When Apple makes an announcement, everyone knows it and they're normally marked by an Apple press conference or Keynote session.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
...Apple announce the iPad3, if factual as reported by DigiTimes http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111228PD215.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter, after only launching the iPad2 in March? Why such a short cycle?

Aside from reading a rumor of an announcement and treating it as a reliable "fact" the iPad 2 was announced on March 2, barely 2 months into this year, so a 10-11 month interval to the next announcement is not shocking. But it's just one of a number of rumors, the others including a late February announcement. Who knows?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
...Apple announce the iPad3, if factual as reported by DigiTimes http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111228PD215.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter, after only launching the iPad2 in March?
Apple did not. Please read the article you're linking to (emphasis added):
Apple is set to unveil its next-generation iPad - which will come in two versions - at the iWorld scheduled for January 26, 2012, according to sources at its supply chain partners.
Apple officials declined to comment.

As for the why, I don't speculate based on rumors. If you count on rumors then the only thing you can really count on is disappointment.

lake alice

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Apple did not. Please read the article you're linking to (emphasis added):

I didn't state Apple said. Re-read the post, associated title and the use of an ellipsis.

Back to the topic I was curious as to the benefits of introducing a new product with such a short, previous product cycle.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
I didn't state Apple said. Re-read the post, associated title and the use of an ellipsis.

Back to the topic I was curious as to the benefits of introducing a new product with such a short, previous product cycle.

Simple my dear boy, people want new stuff...regardless of how new the previously new stuff is.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Actually, yes you did.

Title reads: Why would... then narrative continues: ...Apple announce the iPad3. Forming an interrogative sentence:

Why would ... Apple announce the iPad3?

As for the product cycle, 1 year is quite standard for Apple to turn over a new product.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

It's not such a short cycle. Last year, iPad was released on March 11. If I remember correctly, it was announced a few weeks prior to release, so the announcement was sometime in February. If Apple does announce the next iPad on Jan 26, 2012, then the actual product release is likely to be mid-Feb to early March. Which gives us a 11-12 month product cycle, a normal length for Apple's iDevices.

lake alice

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Actually, yes you did.

Title reads: Why would... then narrative continues: ...Apple announce the iPad3. Forming an interrogative sentence:

As for the product cycle, 1 year is quite standard for Apple to turn over a new product.

Interrogative is sentence that asks a question and is not by definition a statement. I did fail to add a question mark hence much of the confusion. My sincerest apologies.

Thank you for the additional reply.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Interrogative is sentence that asks a question and is not by definition a statement. I did fail to add a question mark hence much of the confusion. My sincerest apologies.

Thank you for the additional reply.
Glad that got cleared up, random-PR-guy version of lake alice.

Mr. Pink, you're shamless! Shameless I tell ya! LOL :D
Oh trust me, so much shame. So much.

GobblerChaser

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Not sure why people worry about what the release cycle is. Apple is a company that is in the business to make money and they make money by selling devices. Every car manufacturer out there has a new product release EVERY year and those with the last year model just have to be happy with what they have.

The good side of the coin is that older model Apple devices hold their value MUCH better than older model cars so take advantage of the very active second hand market.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The competition releases a new tablet multiple times a year. Be happy Apple only does this once a year.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
If you were cynical like me, you might think it's Apple marketing releasing some of these rumors to keep sales of things like the Transformer Prime down a bit.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Every car manufacturer out there has a new product release EVERY year and those with the last year model just have to be happy with what they have.
Poor analogy. Cars don't change much from one model year to the next. Typically there's a major new model change and very minor changes on an annual basis. After a few years there's a bit more work to refresh the design but a complete overhaul isn't done annually. Tech changes on a much faster timeframe. That's why people are concerned with upcoming tech releases when buying.

GobblerChaser

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Poor analogy. Cars don't change much from one model year to the next. Typically there's a major new model change and very minor changes on an annual basis. After a few years there's a bit more work to refresh the design but a complete overhaul isn't done annually. Tech changes on a much faster timeframe. That's why people are concerned with upcoming tech releases when buying.

I guess my point wasn't as clear as it is in my mind. The analogy still holds. The next generation iPad doesn't make the current or even previous version obsolete. The next generation may make people "want" it more because of advances but it doesn't make what they currently have unusable. So it is still all about a consumer decision, not a need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.