Why would...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lake alice, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lake alice macrumors member

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No one knows for sure, but I think that many are predicting that Apple will regularize some kind of yearly launch cycle for the iPad, like the iPhone, and we'll continue to see new iPads sometime in Q1 and new iPhones sometime around Q3 every year. (In other words, I think the whether it will get announced in January / Feb / March is a relatively minor point).

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apple hasn't announced the iPad 3. Unspecified sources are the ones doing so. It's always the analysts that make these claims. When Apple makes an announcement, everyone knows it and they're normally marked by an Apple press conference or Keynote session.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Aside from reading a rumor of an announcement and treating it as a reliable "fact" the iPad 2 was announced on March 2, barely 2 months into this year, so a 10-11 month interval to the next announcement is not shocking. But it's just one of a number of rumors, the others including a late February announcement. Who knows?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Apple did not. Please read the article you're linking to (emphasis added):
    As for the why, I don't speculate based on rumors. If you count on rumors then the only thing you can really count on is disappointment.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Digitimes is the National Inquirer of the tech world.

7. lake alice thread starter macrumors member

I didn't state Apple said. Re-read the post, associated title and the use of an ellipsis.

Back to the topic I was curious as to the benefits of introducing a new product with such a short, previous product cycle.

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Simple my dear boy, people want new stuff...regardless of how new the previously new stuff is.

9. SandboxGeneral, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Actually, yes you did.

Title reads: Why would... then narrative continues: ...Apple announce the iPad3. Forming an interrogative sentence:

As for the product cycle, 1 year is quite standard for Apple to turn over a new product.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not such a short cycle. Last year, iPad was released on March 11. If I remember correctly, it was announced a few weeks prior to release, so the announcement was sometime in February. If Apple does announce the next iPad on Jan 26, 2012, then the actual product release is likely to be mid-Feb to early March. Which gives us a 11-12 month product cycle, a normal length for Apple's iDevices.

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah, as much as I'm not a fan of self-promotion, I just jabbered about this a bit this morning.

The whole thing is ridiculous and I'm beyond sick of reading this kind of junk.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mr. Pink, you're shamless! Shameless I tell ya! LOL :D

13. lake alice thread starter macrumors member

Interrogative is sentence that asks a question and is not by definition a statement. I did fail to add a question mark hence much of the confusion. My sincerest apologies.

Thank you for the additional reply.

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Glad that got cleared up, random-PR-guy version of lake alice.

Oh trust me, so much shame. So much.

15. Stefx73 macrumors regular

I lol'd

16. GobblerChaser macrumors newbie

Not sure why people worry about what the release cycle is. Apple is a company that is in the business to make money and they make money by selling devices. Every car manufacturer out there has a new product release EVERY year and those with the last year model just have to be happy with what they have.

The good side of the coin is that older model Apple devices hold their value MUCH better than older model cars so take advantage of the very active second hand market.

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The competition releases a new tablet multiple times a year. Be happy Apple only does this once a year.

18. JeffMorse macrumors regular

If you were cynical like me, you might think it's Apple marketing releasing some of these rumors to keep sales of things like the Transformer Prime down a bit.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Poor analogy. Cars don't change much from one model year to the next. Typically there's a major new model change and very minor changes on an annual basis. After a few years there's a bit more work to refresh the design but a complete overhaul isn't done annually. Tech changes on a much faster timeframe. That's why people are concerned with upcoming tech releases when buying.

20. GobblerChaser macrumors newbie

I guess my point wasn't as clear as it is in my mind. The analogy still holds. The next generation iPad doesn't make the current or even previous version obsolete. The next generation may make people "want" it more because of advances but it doesn't make what they currently have unusable. So it is still all about a consumer decision, not a need.