Why wouldn't I buy a refurbished mac book pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r1ngx, Feb 22, 2015.

1. r1ngx macrumors newbie

Please give me reasons not to buy a refurbished mac book pro. I am really leaning that way, but I'm fighting it. Please help me to realize that a refurb is not for me. Thanks in advance!

2. MetalGamer09 macrumors member

Not really sure what to say. Are u saying u don't want a refurb? then don't buy one. It's as simple as that. Some people like them because of the lower price point and they have all new parts in them anyway. Some people don't like them because it's still technically a used machine.

3. r1ngx thread starter macrumors newbie

logically, I think its a great deal. but I am hoping someone will point out something that I may not think of until later.. trying to avoid buyers remorse.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Every refurb product I've gotten from Apple has been as new. When given the choice, I always go with the refurb. I'm a teacher/educator and refurbs are still a little better price than the educational price.

5. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

All of my Macs for the last 15 years have been open box, refurb, or leftovers. My last machine was a late '13 rMBP which was purchased 2 months ago, .2 Ghz slower but $500 cheaper. Don't forget the silent upgrades sometimes found in Apple refurbs.

6. r1ngx thread starter macrumors newbie

My thinking right now is unless they refresh the mbp lines before March 15, I will go with a refurb as I am ready to buy next month. I have a mid 2010 that Ive had enough of (ridiculous 8 gig ram limit).

7. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I bought a 13" rMBP with a 2.8Ghz i5 and 16GB RAM and 512GB flash drive just a couple weeks ago. Imagine my surprise when I checked the system info to discover what they sent me was a 3Ghz i7.

I should return it and demand Apple give me what I ordered ;)

The machine is running great. This was my first refurb from the Apple Store, and probably not my last.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No good reason

To be honest they are a great deal and there is no good reason not to go for it unless you just want to walk in and buy a computer to walk away with.

As for 8gb of RAM that is plenty for 95% of users what do you run that needs more???

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think refurbs are an excellent option but I can see some people shying away because they're not "brand new" or were returned to apple for some reason. Other then peace of mind, I think it offers a great way to save some money.

10. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Yeah, I am jumping in with the others. The only bad thing is you get a plain brown box. All the macs we buy are from refurbished in the Apple store. All have been in perfect condition and much cheaper than the full retail price. My rMBP was 1599, at normal retail it was either 1899 or 1999.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I can give the OP a reason: there isn't a picture of the product on the outside of the box.

Otherwise Apple refurbs are a good deal, especially since unlike buying one used it must pass through Apple's quality control.

12. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

Apple refurbs are excellent deal and all refurbs are new. You get one year factory warranty plus you can buy applecare. My first mac I bought was refurb and, I never regretted buying a refurb mac because it was the best deal.:D:apple:

13. jabbok macrumors newbie

I am another one who bought a refurbished rmbp 13" ordered it with the i5 cpu got an i7 in it :), the warranty is the same and you can get applecare. The only thing that was an issue with the one I got it had some scuffs on the bottom but it doesn't affect the notebook at all.

I guess the only reason you would want to buy brand new is that it is brand new but other than that there isn't any reason to buy new.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

You certainly wouldn't want to save money on a like-new computer that has been through Apple QC twice. I mean, all that money saved couldn't possibly be put to a better use than a computer. And you don't even get that nice white shiny box, only a brown one. Surely that box is worth a few hundreds by itself?

15. r1ngx thread starter macrumors newbie

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm surprised to read of the scuffs someone mentioned above. Most items would have the casing replaced. I would return one if it had any physical flaws. Of course, I see brand new Apple devices with tiny flaws, so anything is possible.

I agree the box is a bit of a let down. Refurbished iPads at least still come in a nice white box, whereas the Macs just come in a white shipping box, so the box you see at the door is it, not a second box inside.

For me, the biggest reason not to get a refurbished unit from Apple: the pricing isn't that good for some of the machines. Depending on the computer you are interested in, savings may be minimal and you're giving up the original packaging that can also help with reselling quite a bit if you keep everything perfect.

If you use coupons at some other retailers, you can often BEAT the refurbished price for a brand new machine.

The good points of refurbished directly from Apple, sometimes they send a machine better than what you ordered, not likely, but a nice gesture, and secondly, if you are dissatisfied, Apple should be good about taking it back, and letting you buy a new one instead.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

About the only downside I can think of is most of the free warranty extension programs offered by credit card companies like VISA and AMEX will not cover a refurb.

My VISA card extends the warranty an extra year if I use that card to buy a new Mac, but it will not on a refurb.

18. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

If you're a stickler for perfection, then buying a refurbished model also might not be a good idea. I've know people who have bought refurbs and then complained about the less than stellar quality of them.

I know people where not having that box is more than a good enough issue for them to avoid refurbs. It's basically losing out on part of the experience or something so they've said.

I was not aware of this. It's a definite good point to note, if only for reference.

19. HalfLife macrumors newbie

Although I've seen some pretty sweet deals on the Apple's Refub page, I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy one.
    A majority of them are probably just one's that were quickly opened and then returned, or maybe not even open, and some came from repairs. But you also never know who had it before, and the thought of buying one, that someone else has used for even a short time isn't appealing to me, no matter the savings. I'd much rather pay the extra cost so I know I'm buying one new, right from the factory.
    You could argue the refurbs have been through stringent apple testing, instead of coming from the factory where it may be DOA, but still, at least I know no one has touched it before. If you were paying $500 for the laptop, sure, but when the cost exceeds $1K... I want new. My 2 cents.

20. nirvanemesis macrumors member

The left palmrest on my refurbished rMBP is a little pitted but only noticeable at a certain angle. That was about the only cosmetic flaw I could find.

21. dudeslife macrumors member

dudeslife

that might bother me.

22. bldugas macrumors newbie

I am on my ninth Apple refurbished product. I've purchased four MacBook Pros, three Airport Extremes, an iMac, and an Airport Express. Each on of them was in mint condition when received. The warranty is the same as a new unit, and they are all eligible for Apple Care.

I am eligible for an education discount and a government discount, but the refurbished deals have always been better. Plus, I can buy a more powerful refurbished machine for the cost of an entry-level new machine. I can't think of any reason to buy a new computer. Except for the packaging, everything else is the same or better.

For additional savings, if you have a Discover Card, you can shop the Apple Store online and receive 5% cash back rewards, even on a refurbished machine!

23. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Never had any physical flaws on my, or my family's refurbs.

There are plenty of empty MBP boxes for sale on eBay and Craigslist. Usually for $15 - $20.

I saved $610 on my refurb 2012 rMBP 15". I haven't seen any retail deals beating that.

24. vbedia macrumors regular

For me it's something special when you buy one of these laptops, so I want to open it brand new.

I take good care of my computers. I like to have them with no scratches and unscathed. I would not take well buying a refurbished computer with marks even the smallest one.

But hey this is me, it may sound a bit excessive.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have bought new and I have bought refurb; as almost everyone else here has already posted, refurb offer a great deal, plus the reassurance of knowing that there has been additional Quality Control (in that the computer would have been individually further tested).

As a matter of fact, I have never had a problem with any refurb product I have bought, and, as a consequence, I have become a big fan of the concept of refurb computers and devices.

In terms of value for money, refurbs are an excellent deal. You get the exact same warranties (plus Apple care should you wish to buy that) as are available on a brand new computer, and, as other have already pointed out, sometimes Apple include a 'silent' upgrade.

If you are willing to forego the experience of the 'nice, new, shiny box', then you can have a first rate computer at an excellent price.