Why wouldn't I jailbreak my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Aug 11, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

As best as I can figure it out, jailbreaking allows me to install thrid party apps through Cydia that are not Apple authorized. At the same time the Apple app store is available to me. Isn't this the best of both worlds?

What reasons are there that would make jailbreaking a bad idea? It just seems like there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Or am I extremely naive and missing some important considerations?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

jailbreaking can get you free apps...and it can get you a new theme...im not going to do it because there is a small risk of briking my phone...

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

buggy apps are one problem, but since you can just restore I don't see any reason not to jailbreak if you are so inclined.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The only downside of jailbreaking is when it downgrades the baseband.

Other than that, there is really no harm. You are right, it's the best of both worlds, and your iPhone can pretty much run anything that anyone makes that is legit.

5. aphexii macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking itself is fairly harmless as its reversible with a Restore. Unlocking is a different story.

6. firewood macrumors 604

Apple OS updates

There's sometimes a delay before you can install App OS updates and still keep using your non-store apps.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should visit the iPhone Hacks forum before making a decision. Keep in mind these are the people who have problems and need help. It will give you an idea of what other people tripped over. I haven't read them all, but only remember seeing one that broke to the point a hardware replacement was necessary. And there is much debate on if that was an existing hardware issue.

8. BMP1199 macrumors member

I don't know much about the cell phone technology itself... so what do you mean by downgrading the baseband?

9. specops macrumors regular

the baseband has to do with your cell phone carrier and their settings.

I think they change the baseband when unlocking the phone for other carriers... i might be a little off on this but thats the best i could remember atm lol

10. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

there isnt much downside especially with how advanced Pwnage tool is. letting restore to original state change baseband to which ever version you need. i would do it....if i had an iphone

11. aphexii macrumors 6502

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion going on here.

Jailbreaking does not entail downgrading the baseband, that's Unlocking. You only need to be messing with the baseband and unlocking if you want to use the phone on a different wireless carrier than the one you are currently on (ex/ want to use the AT&T iPhone on T-Mobile)

Jailbreaking is simply modifying the iPhone's software to allow third party applications (outside the App Store) to be installed on the phone. It essentially opens your phone's file system up so programs can access it. It has been in the past, and will likely be in the foreseeable future, fully reversible.

Unlocking on the other hand can be quite a bit more dangerous. Not taking into account that true unlocking isn't available yet on the 3G iPhone, unlocking problems have indeed rendered phones unusable if something goes wrong in the process. It may or may not be recoverable if there is an issue downgrading the baseband while unlocking.

The point I am trying to make is that Jailbreaking is NOT the same as Unlocking. Although many of the programs available can do both at the same time, they are very different things.

12. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

couldn't of said it better

13. Jeremy W macrumors regular

Hah, you'll still have that problem even if you only get apps from the App Store!

14. aphexii macrumors 6502

Ironically enough, one of the biggest downsides to jailbreaking previously was app instability. Now that we all have it, even more reason to jailbreak :)

15. iphonics macrumors member

Jailbreaking is the EASIEST thing out there!!! i did mine in like 20min and its working great!! then i restored to original 2.0.... re-jailbroke with 2.0.1 in another 20min theres no risk involved whatsoever!!!!

16. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Great post ivtecDOu, that cleared a lot up for me :).

17. aphexii macrumors 6502

:cool:

We need a beer emoticon :D

18. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

19. aphexii macrumors 6502

You steal my praise AND my beer. Unfathomable. :)