Why wouldn't they sell Sport watch with leather loops?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 25, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

I don't understand why apple didn't make it an option of buying the sport watch with the leather loops? It would look really good and apple would make more money selling more expensive straps...why?

2. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Because then they are charging half the price of the watch just for the band the numbers don't add up. Hardly anyone would want it , why wouldn't you want a sapphire screen anyway?

3. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

4. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

Sapphire is suppose to be stronger then the Sport glass used. So that's one, but I agree. I would have bought the Sg with the black loop. I'm not amused with the lack of styles for this personal device.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The Sport is primarily intended as the "budget" model. The stainless steel model is the most "personal" and is offered with the greatest selection of bands. Of course, you can always purchase a leather band to go with your Sport, though if you get the Classic, Modern, or Milanese bands the steel might "clash" with the aluminum. The Link band costs more than the Sport itself, so my guess is that most people who want that would be willing to pay the extra to get the stainless steel Watch in the first place.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

For now and the foreseeable future Apple is prepackaging Watch sets to fulfill demand and keep offing just a little simpler on their side is my guess.

Also. Sport infers a little more than casual wear and the possibility the watch will be used during workouts. The leather bands won't hold up well to sweat.

7. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Leather loops are not available at this point so it's a non issue. However I think the SG with black leather loop with probably look decent... But it will be a seperate purchase.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Not really. If you buy a Sport with a leather band and Apple treated it like the other models, they would knock $50 off the price of the band since they aren't including the Sport band. The Leather loop would only be an additional $100 then which isn't half the price of the Sport.

The Sapphire screen is more brittle then the Ion-X on the Sport first off. While the Ion-X glass is more easily scratched the glass is more flexible thus more forgivable in a drop. (I'm awaiting a drop test of the stainless model to see how it holds up). Sapphire is also heavier, and the Stainless casing itself is also heavier. The Sport being the lightest in the line does mean something. Plus, if you want a black stainless watch you'll have to pay a minimum of $1049 for it. The Space Gray Sport starts at $350.

9. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Same reason the 5C didn't have Touch ID.

You need an entry-level model, then the premium one with the fancy bells and whistles.