Why you are not getting an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scotthayes, Nov 9, 2007.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

While everyone is out queueing for their iPhone's, just wondering why you are not be getting one.

Reasons for me.

1. On a contract with Vodafone until June 2008. would cost me well over £200 to cancel the contract.

2. Don't like the idea of having to use O2, but won't unlock as I'd be gutted if it broke and Apple wouldn't repair under warranty.

3. 3G

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Other reasons are good, but O2 are fine in my experience.

3. overcast macrumors 6502a

4. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Can only go on my past experience with O2 (or Cellnet as they were at the time) which was pretty rubbish.

5. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just interested. You can alway continue reading other posts.

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

1. No 3G
    2. Only 8GB
    3. I'm contracted to Orange for another 12 months (although if 1 & 2 were sorted I'd get it as an additional phone)

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

1. Far too expensive ... :(
    2. Don't want a contract ... :mad:

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

10. shecky Guest

shecky

1. waiting for version 2
    2. in contract with tmobile

11. Matteh117 macrumors regular

1. Still tied in with Vodafone for a couple months.

Done. :)

Of course there is the 3G thing, but EDGE will do just fine.

12. Supersonic macrumors regular

1. No 3g, thats a europewide cockup of biblical proportions. i dont buy this battery thing. Whilst others are looking at 3.5g and beyond, apple are way, way off base technically here. What a lousy web experience 2g will be. It'll be like dialup all over again!

2. Whats with this 'having to buy a handset on contract' thing. Last time i paid more than £100 for a handset on a contract was a Nokia Orange in 1996. Somebody somewhere doesnt understand subsidies...

3. No iChat and no MMS (because of point no.1)

13. iguanarama macrumors member

Some fair points... and some cognitive dissonance in action. :)

14. nokiauk macrumors member

much as I would like one, i won't be as

1. £35 is a bit steep for what your getting
    2. No PAYG option
    3. Will be getting an HTC Kaiser (Tytn II) from work, with all calls/line rental paid.

15. G4DP macrumors 65816

16. nokiauk macrumors member

not sure if thats fair, i've had apple computers for a good number of years and find them reliable and value for money, however I agree that from a financial and choice point of view this is probably apple's worst commercial decision.

i think quite a lot will be sold, but by tying people to certain networks and price plans they are excluding a lot of people especially those that prefer PAYG.

17. G4DP macrumors 65816

NokiaUK, I have used Apple computers for almosta decade, they are value for money, but all the extra stuff they now do has always been over priced for what it is.

The iPhone is the best example of this. £1000 over the course of 18 months. That is the con.

18. Supersonic macrumors regular

The contact options really suck balls too here in the UK

£35/mth is, well... so-so, but you dont get much for it, 200 mins and 200 SMS, most other providers are throwing upwards of 500m and 1000SMS a month for that kinda money, and usually a cheaper handset. An N95 can be had for about £129 for a £35/mth tariff...

Now if the iPhone was say, £99, then the current tariff wouldnt be too hard to swallow, but £269 and £35...nah....sorry geezer.not my cuppa tea. The current price if it was PAYG, now you'd be talking. It'd wipe the smile off the N95 fanboys in a flash!

Rip off Britain at its best, and we swallow it. Our european comrades are being shafted even worse than us! Awesome! Not!

Dont get me wrong, I'm a big macfanboy, but some pills are way too hard to swallow...

19. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

£289 unlocked, or £100 with a contract...but the worst of both? Come on. :rolleyes:

No MMS - what were they thinking? These are high revenue & margin items for the carriers, so why? :confused:

8GB is far too small these days. I want at least 32GB for it to be my convergence platform of choice.

I'll wait for a choice of carriers, some basic, to-be-expected facilities to be 'unforgotten', and larger storage, thanks.

I like my Apple toys as much as anyone, and having played with a friend's iPhone, it's very desirable, but I think they've been quite cynical about this one. I know a lot of people will get one, and my custom, or lack of, doesn't count for much... but I ain't buyin'.

20. siorai macrumors 6502

I'm in Canada so I can't get on even if I wanted one, but I won't get one for one simple reason:

It's too big.

I have a Sony Ericsson W810i right now. I find it to be a bit on the chunky side. The iphone is far bigger so it would never work for me.

21. ksolano macrumors regular

1. O2, on orange and very happy.
    2. waiting for the phone to be free! (after mac world o2 will be giving them away)
    3. 3g
    4. blue tooth syncing
    5. back to my via on the iphone (hopefully in the next rev we'll see that)

Other reasons, but rev 2 will be leaps ahead of this one.. Cant wait.

22. fisha macrumors regular

no "To Do" list
    no MMS
    no 3G.

its really neat as a computing device, I'm soooo tempted to head out and get it, but at the moment, no to-do list is a must have feature for me on a phone like that ( i.e. the central hub of your communications and your day ) its quite frankly crazy they dont have it in there.

23. spinstorm macrumors 68000

I bought an iPhone this evening.

I already have an unlocked US phone but I am fed up of constantly hacking it. I like the idea of it working without any problems and if it does go wrong getting Apple to replace it with one visit to an Apple store.

I also like the unlimited data and wi-fi BUT I can't justify an additional £35pm for the contract.

It either has to offer me a cheaper contract or more minutes and more messages. I would consider adding bolt ons but that is even more expensive!

Maybe I would consider the £45 pm IF I could transfer my contract over without a fee but I just started a new contract so I can't even do that!

O2 should not penalise those of us that are willing to pay EVEN more money to them if we want to transfer our contracts BUT THEY ARE.

So I have a UK iPhone that I am just gonna stare at and consider my options...

24. spinstorm macrumors 68000

I am thinking I will sign up to a contract have a play with the phone and if I decide I can't afford it cancel it within the 14 days I have.

I don't really want to do that but I am not sure I can afford two contracts so I may just try it out!

Any thoughts on cancelling within 14 days!?

25. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

It's too expensive.
    I don't want a contract.
    It's too big. I've recently bought a nice, slim Nokia 6300 and it's the right size for me.