Why you DONT NEED MMS messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wako, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wako macrumors 65816

This seems to be a reoccurring topic of "Why dont they include MMS messaging?!"

Despite the fact they didnt include MMS, you really dont need it to be able to accept picture messages, sound, or video. If those pictures, sound, or video really is that important to you, just tell the people sending it to send it to your EMAIL! With Push service and its already built in email services on the iPhone, you can get those services already!

What about sending MMS messages? Its just as easy! Just email it! For the big 4 US carriers, simply email it to their number xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net, xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net, xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com, xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

Sooo... if MMS really is a deciding factor for you, it shouldnt be. This also works for text messaging. So to those people who are on the fence about the 200 SMS messages not included, just get it emailed. :)

And of course NO there isnt additional charges. I been using this method for years to avoid additional fees with my smartphones :D

2. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I am not all the tech saavy here....

But some of the people I know who like to send me MMS (my nephew comes to mind) have a cell phone that they can take pictures with - but they can't send emails with the cell phone.

3. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

That's extra steps and work arounds for a standard that should be no problem on a phone this powerful. What about when I want to send an MMS out?

It's not a big issue for me, if I send 15 SMS a month that's a lot..but it's huge for others.
    :apple:

4. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Why didnt you just post this in one of those recurring threads you mentioned, all thats gunna happen now is a mirror of one of those threads........pointless.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That works nice if I want to send, but I still can't receive MMS

6. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

If your phone is pretty recent, your phone CAN send emails. If the phone can send MMS it probably can send email. Simply keep pressing "1" until you get the @ sign ;)

7. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

because i dont want to keep posting in the same message 50 times ;)

8. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

thats the whole point of this thread... is that you CAN receive MMS... tell them to send it to your email address that is linked to your iPhone!

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

So why are you ignoring the messages from those same topics, explaining that the vast majority of cell phones have support for MMS but not email? Most people accept the free cell phone that comes with their service, not internet-communicator phones.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Yeah but then you'r not receiving an MMS... you're receiving an e-mail.

Just playing devil's advocate because I really have never used MMS nor do I think I ever will.

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Wow, great idea. I'll just force all my business associates and clients to send me MMS instead of email. Even if their phone does not support email. And they'll never forget that, even though they send MMS to everyone else, I can't recieve those messages. Right.

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

MMS is old, Apple knows it, and you should.

Just like your old tapes, old DVD's and now old CD's ... the digital revolution is happening, and Apple is helping it along nicely.
    There are now much more convenient ways to store, send and receive data - as i'm sure you all well know, your just not coming
    to the point of accepting it yet, but you will.

MMS is gone, and as soon as the mobile carriers realize this, the better.

E-mail is a much more standard, convenient way to send images, and might I add, will work mighty fine with Apple's new MobileMe service.

Nearly everyone has an e-mail address these days, and what are they used for? - well, communication. A picture speaks a thousand words.
    Why not utilize this technology it in such a way everyone can interact.

Send a picture directly from your iPhone straight to your recipients e-mail address.
    Minutes later, they send you one back, it lands in your inbox on your iPhone ..
    and with v2.0 of the software, one tap, and you have it in your camera roll.

Send one back? - Tap on a photo > Bottom left icon > Email Photo.

I really can't see the desire for MMS support.
    Get over it people, it's old hat, and you know it. :p:cool:

R-Fly

13. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

But all of this has been discussed to death already!!

14. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't care so much about MMS, as I don't even send regular texts very often. I do, however, recognize that for a lot of people it's a big deal. Say somebody snapped a picture and wanted to text it to 5 people, one of whom has an iPhone. The person zaps it on a text message to 4 of those people, then has to go through the process of sending an email to the iPhone owner. Not much of a hassle, but still more of a hassle than if the iPhone could accept the picture through text. Don't you think this will probably be addressed through the App Store?

15. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

And most free phones can type in an email address in the blank field. There are VERY few phones that cant that are sold now a days. If a RAZR can which have been around for 5 YEARS and is now FREE, Im sure most phones cant. And they dont have to be "internet-communicator phones."

16. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

If you honestly are in a business with clients and associates and what not and sending each other MMS messages, I think your business if failing if you arent using email in the first place

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

steve jobs should just include MMS and stop being a stubborn s**t head. I understand he wants to phaze out MMS and have everyone using email but if he were to take his head out of his pompous A** for just 2 seconds he would see that it wont be happening anytime soon because so many people have regular picture cellphones with no email accounts set up. just give people the option and if they want to use it fine, if the dont use it then dont. but at least it's there for those who want to use it and then people dont have to come up with little work arounds, and people wont be embarassed when they have to tell someoen that their revolutionary super hyped device cant do something that a free 5 year old phone can do.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then let's not start yet another inflammatory thread about it because this one is retreading old ground for no purpose at all.

Some people want it, some don't. You can talk about it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.