Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Oh it doesnt?

Let me ask you this...Would you rather take cooking advice from a professional chef or a mechanic?
I would take the advice from the one who made the cooking better. Not all doctors heal people. Let that sink in. I also love how you had to drag the fact that you “have a degree” that doesn’t make you any more or less than anyone here, let alone your opinions. It’s not only the Apple fans who can’t take one for granted, seems like the Android community here isn’t as open minded as I thought when I first came here. Can never accept the fact that some other product/feature is better on the competition than the current product they own.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The news provides the false impression that it was an evil scheme to sell new phones. But it was a real issue, and the intent was to keep older phones running.

Years-old smartphones made by anyone (not just Apple) had older batteries that couldn't manage to produce sufficient and sustained current when the phone was tasked with a heavy load. Doing nothing about this meant the phones unceremoniously shut down. If one does a search for "smartphone sudden shutdown", one will find countless examples of this happening to 2+ year old devices. Only the Apple ones make the news.

Apple decided to prevent the sudden shutdowns by stalling CPU cycles during times of high load. In this case the phone would continue to operate as best it could, which Apple deemed was preferential to the phone just shutting off. Most manufacturers didn't do anything at all, which frankly shows a lack of care for older devices.

So yes, it's absolutely true that Apple slowed down the phones. But the context is important--leaving it out implies that Apple slowed down the phones to nudge people into buying new ones. With the context, it shows that Apple cared to support older phones with older batteries and slowed them down in order to keep them running--this is the exact opposite of trying to get people to upgrade. I have noticed very few articles provide that context, and ones that do tended to use language like "scheme" which biases the readers think it's evil somehow.

Yeah, they should have made it an option from the beginning. And Apple's battery replacement policy should be better. And their prices for it should be lower. And I have a lot of other complaints too. And Apple has literally broken the law on multiple occasions. But IMHO this particular issue is widely misunderstood. It's an option now. And frankly even when it wasn't, I'd personally pick "slower at high loads" over "shutting down at high loads" any day.

I have both iOS and Android devices. One of the things where Apple is better is lengthy OS support for older devices.

I fully understand their public explanation and Im sure that is partly or even mostly why they slowed down older devices. BUT, the fact that they did so without giving users the option or notice is why people took offense. And you say as much in this post. But, if you think that Apple didnt do so knowing that this would push a significant amount of people into buying new devices then I think you're being naive.

However, none of this was the issue or even why this was brought up. @1050792 said that older iphones arent throttled and we corrected him. He then went on to admit it and fed the battery line as well. I think eventually Apple did the right thing and made it an option in the settings.
[automerge]1570559047[/automerge]
I would take the advice from the one who made the cooking better. Not all doctors heal people. Let that sink in. I also love how you had to drag the fact that you “have a degree” that doesn’t make you any more or less than anyone here, let alone your opinions. It’s not only the Apple fans who can’t take one for granted, seems like the Android community here isn’t as open minded as I thought when I first came here. Can never accept the fact that some other product/feature is better on the competition than the current product they own.
Again, that Android vs iOS line doesnt work on me, as I said before my current phone is an 11 Pro Max that I think is an excellent device.

As for the issue with me bringing up my degree, you do realize that wasnt out of the blue, right? You said I dont know what Im talking about. I then brought up my degree and the fact that I work in the tech field as proof that I do. I dont think my opinion means more than anyone elses and I never said I did. But dont tell me I dont know what Im talking about when I've corrected your inaccuracies several times during this conversation. Oh and with regards to the whole chef vs mechanic thing, you clearly missed the point or I guess just took a weird tangent to try and deflect.

Anyway, Im done with this. Its going nowhere.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I fully understand their public explanation and Im sure that is partly or even mostly why they slowed down older devices. BUT, the fact that they did so without giving users the option or notice is why people took offense. And you say as much in this post. But, if you think that Apple didnt do so knowing that this would push a significant amount of people into buying new devices then I think you're being naive.

However, none of this was the issue or even why this was brought up. @1050792 said that older iphones arent throttled and we corrected him. He then went on to admit it and fed the battery line as well. I think eventually Apple did the right thing and made it an option in the settings.
[automerge]1570559047[/automerge]

Again, that Android vs iOS line doesnt work on me, as I said before my current phone is an 11 Pro Max that I think is an excellent device.

As for the issue with me bringing up my degree, you do realize that wasnt out of the blue, right? You said I dont know what Im talking about. I then brought up my degree and the fact that I work in the tech field as proof that I do. I dont think my opinion means more than anyone elses and I never said I did. But dont tell me I dont know what Im talking about when I've corrected your inaccuracies several times during this conversation. Oh and with regards to the whole chef vs mechanic thing, you clearly missed the point or I guess just took a weird tangent to try and deflect.

Anyway, Im done with this. Its going nowhere.
They aren’t throttled per say... only when the battery health is low which happens the same with every ELECTRONIC. I wonder what kind of degree you have. You should ask for a refund.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
They aren’t throttled per say... only when the battery health is low which happens the same with every ELECTRONIC. I wonder what kind of degree you have. You should ask for a refund.
Whats wrong? Are they hurting for employment at whatever Starbucks you barista at? Maybe one day you'll land that job at the Geek Squad you've been clamoring for.

And again, you are completely wrong in saying that every electronic device throttles speed at low battery levels. Thats just wrong, as usual.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Whats wrong? Are they hurting for employment at whatever Starbucks you barista at? Maybe one day you'll land that job at the Geek Squad you've been clamoring for.

And again, you are completely wrong in saying that every electronic device throttles speed at low battery levels. Thats just wrong, as usual.
Ok, show me evidence that electonic devices do not get their performance crippled at low battery health.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
However, none of this was the issue or even why this was brought up. @1050792 said that older iphones arent throttled and we corrected him. He then went on to admit it and fed the battery line as well.

Understood. He's wrong and I agree with you. My response is only about the slowdown being an evil scheme of some sort and I feel it is widely misunderstood.

I don't think I'm being naive. Of course a slow phone is an impetus to upgrade--that's a classic reason to do so. But a slow phone means an upgrade is optional. Phones shutting down makes an upgrade urgent.

Do the Android phones from that era provide the option to throttle? I don't know, but based on the dozen or so threads I looked at, I suspect that they just shut down. Apple solution, both before and after it was an option, seems like a better choice to me.

Reactions: Awesomesince86

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Ok, show me evidence that electonic devices do not get their performance crippled at low battery health.
How are you missing this by so much?

Let’s clarify why Apple did because you seem to think they throttles when battery got low. It’s not. At lower battery health they throttled because they wanted to avoid power spikes causing crashes in iOS. Are you telling me that every electronic devices has battery monitoring? Of course not.

First off, most electronic devices run off a constant power supply and not a battery, so right away the whole “every electronic” argument is already wrong.

Most devices don’t have battery health software and so they run until the battery is dead. There’s a small window when performance might degrade but that’s doesn’t justify apples move since they are using a rechargeable device. If they throttled say when the battery was under 20% like many android phones do in “low power” mode, then that’s fine as long as there’s a notification that’s what mode the phone is in. But they didn’t do that. They did it secretly and when the phone was in low battery health but even when fully charged.
Oh and as for your electronic device example, although already proven wrong, look at any electronic devices that has a motor. If battery life falls below the instantaneous power needed to start the motor then it doesn’t degrade it just won’t start that motor.
[automerge]1570562528[/automerge]
Understood. He's wrong and I agree with you. My response is only about the slowdown being an evil scheme of some sort and I feel it is widely misunderstood.

I don't think I'm being naive. Of course a slow phone is an impetus to upgrade--that's a classic reason to do so. But a slow phone means an upgrade is optional. Phones shutting down makes an upgrade urgent.

Do the Android phones from that era provide the option to throttle? I don't know, but based on the dozen or so threads I looked at, I suspect that they just shut down. Apple solution, both before and after it was an option, seems like a better choice to me.

Most will go into a low power mode that’s in the OS. You can turn it on or off at any time, or set it to turn on automatically under a certain percentage of battery remaining. Typically low power or power saver mode throttles cpu, dims the display, sometimes lowers resolution, etc.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Do you replace your car when the battery degrades/dies? No, you replace the battery.

Does the car manufacturer put your car in limp mode when the battery has degraded or dies? No.

That can be said universally for all battery powered electronics unless you think all other companies are wrong except for Apple.

Last edited:

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
How are you missing this by so much?

Let’s clarify why Apple did because you seem to think they throttles when battery got low.

I’ll state this at the risk of stepping into the middle of this good ole iOS vs Android food fight. How can you objectively state Apple’s intentions for throttling? I agree they should have made it clear, but you can only speculate with the rest of us.
[automerge]1570569491[/automerge]
Do you replace your car when the battery degrades/dies? No, you replace the battery.

Does the car manufacturer put your car in limp mode when the battery has degraded or dies? No.

That can be said universally for all battery powered electronics unless you think all other companies are wrong except for Apple.

False equivalency much.. again, feel how you want about what they did. They made a decision without offering options to their customers, but one could choose to trust their intentions were good.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’ll state this at the risk of stepping into the middle of this good ole iOS vs Android food fight. How can you objectively state Apple’s intentions for throttling? I agree they should have made it clear, but you can only speculate with the rest of us.
[automerge]1570569491[/automerge]

False equivalency much.. again, feel how you want about what they did. They made a decision without offering options to their customers, but one could choose to trust their intentions were good.

When I said they did it to prevent random shutdowns caused by power spikes that was the official reasoning from Apple. I believe they said that low battery levels and cold temps on old iphone batteries can force the OS to shutdown unexpectedly.

So, not speculating. Going by what they said. If I were speculating, I would say they did it for the reasons they listed along with the added benefit that it would cause some users to buy new iphones due to this slowdown and just attribute it to the devices age. Thats why they didnt make the decision to throttle public until they were called out.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There is enough evidence from the years gone by that Apple had a plan of obsolescence though software updates and throttling. there is just far too much out there from over the years to just ignore or just write it off. This has been suspected for years.....and years. It has been proven by numerous places.

People can't commend Apple on one hand and say how great they are and how much advanced technology goes into their products...then turn a blind eye to other things.
If they are such great technologist....how can they not know and see if the labs the effect every software update slowed devices from only a year or 2 old?

Apple throttles phones.....
Then the fact that they purposely hid this fact from it's customers to no doubt spur new phones sales.

In December, Apple admitted that older iPhone models were deliberately slowed down through software updates.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
There is enough evidence from the years gone by that Apple had a plan of obsolescence though software updates and throttling. there is just far too much out there from over the years to just ignore or just write it off. This has been suspected for years.....and years. It has been proven by numerous places.

People can't commend Apple on one hand and say how great they are and how much advanced technology goes into their products...then turn a blind eye to other things.
If they are such great technologist....how can they not know and see if the labs the effect every software update slowed devices from only a year or 2 old?

Apple throttles phones.....
Then the fact that they purposely hid this fact from it's customers to no doubt spur new phones sales.

There’s enough for you to make your assessment, sure. That’s about it. ?‍♂️

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, and etc have made public statements saying they don't throttle(aka slow down) their phones. If they were lying, they would have been outed, especially from the XDA community.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, and etc have made public statements saying they don't throttle(aka slow down) their phones. If they were lying, they would have been outed, especially from the XDA community.
They don’t. That’s why my S5 shutdown in middle of Spotify with 43% of Battery Life.
Same thing happened constantly with my iPhone 5 and that’s why Apple added the battery performance option so if the phone is about to shutdown instead it will reduce the performance. Want to keep the performance and let it shutdown ? Slide to turn it off. I don’t get the issue here.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There’s enough for you to make your assessment, sure. That’s about it. ?‍♂️
I think there is enough evidence from the last few years that any reasonable person would come to the conclusions i have presented.

I am an Apple fan....love love my iPhone 11 Pro Max and use it more than my Android phones.
But i do not let my love of the Apple brand blind me to what they have done.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I think there is enough evidence from the last few years that any reasonable person would come to the conclusions i have presented.

I am an Apple fan....love love my iPhone ii Pro Max and use it more than my Android phones.
But i do not let my love of the Apple brand blind me to what they have done.
Man, it’s not blind admiting something they did is right. The throttle you talk about only happens when the phone is about the shutdown, sure Apple should have informed users first but for example I got so mad all the times my iPhone 5 shutdown in gym with enough battery life left. This is exactly why the so called “throttle” is here. Any electric device with a powered battery can’t give enough power the older the battery gets, that’s just physics, if the CPU is taking so much power from the battery and it starts heating up, isn’t it a better solution to reduce that performance instead of having the phone shutting down or blowing up? Think about it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Man, it’s not blind admiting something they did is right. The throttle you talk about only happens when the phone is about the shutdown, sure Apple should have informed users first but for example I got so mad all the times my iPhone 5 shutdown in gym with enough battery life left. This is exactly why the so called “throttle” is here. Any electric device with a powered battery can’t give enough power the older the battery gets, that’s just physics, if the CPU is taking so much power from the battery and it starts heating up, isn’t it a better solution to reduce that performance instead of having the phone shutting down or blowing up? Think about it.
your blind brand loyalty is showing. Do yourself a favor and Google it.....

They throttled phones because they had faulty batteries and had sudden shutdowns.
Instead of recalling and fixing the issue they throttled the phones through an software update to hide the hardware issue.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
your blind brand loyalty is showing. Do yourself a favor and Google it.....

They throttled phones because they had faulty batteries and had sudden shutdowns.
Instead of recalling and fixing the issue they throttled the phones through an software update to hide the hardware issue.

“This is when the drama first started. Reports of older iPhones trickled in, citing reliability and usability problems such as sudden shutdowns.”

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

This is wrong again. They weren’t throttling phones that were low on power and about to shutdown. They were throttling phones with low battery health. So they could be fully charged and still throttling. The throttle was preemptive and happened in situations where the phone was drawing the most power. It wasn’t because the phone was about to shutdown, it was to keep it away from situations when it might.

Reactions: torana355

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
This is wrong again. They weren’t throttling phones that were low on power and about to shutdown. They were throttling phones with low battery health. So they could be fully charged and still throttling. The throttle was preemptive and happened in situations where the phone was drawing the most power. It wasn’t because the phone was about to shutdown, it was to keep it away from situations when it might.
Do you even read? I talked about WHY Apple has done this, to prevent these SHUTDOWNS, also in my posts above I stated like a thousand times that all has todo with battery health. You’re going to my ignore list.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Do you even read? I talked about WHY Apple has done this, to prevent these SHUTDOWNS, also in my posts above I stated like a thousand times that all has todo with battery health. You’re going to my ignore list.
You literally just said it happens when the phone is about to shutdown which is wrong.
Wrong facts and now poor reading comprehension. Impressive. Please do put me on ignore. I can’t keep correcting your nonsense.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
They don’t. That’s why my S5 shutdown in middle of Spotify with 43% of Battery Life.
Same thing happened constantly with my iPhone 5 and that’s why Apple added the battery performance option so if the phone is about to shutdown instead it will reduce the performance. Want to keep the performance and let it shutdown ? Slide to turn it off. I don’t get the issue here.

The S5 has a user removable battery. You could have simply purchased a new one and have no issues. So, your comparison is flawed.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
The S5 has a user removable battery. You could have simply purchased a new one and have no issues. So, your comparison is flawed.
It’s not flawed because it can also happen for phones who do not have a removable battery, basically any phone these days. It’s not easy to get a replacement battery for a specific model atleast where I live.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It’s not flawed because it can also happen for phones who do not have a removable battery, basically any phone these days. It’s not easy to get a replacement battery for a specific model atleast where I live.

The problem with Apple is, they were slowing down previous phones that were not old. The 6 & 7 lineups, and the SE were include. Apple admitted to slowing down these models with a software update in the end of 2017. The line up then was the X and 8. You mean a phone that's only one or two years old needs to be throttled cause the battery is going bad already? Does that truly sound right to you? I've had Android phones for several years before I seen any signs of battery health issues. I had a Note 4, and it's original battery had issues only after 4 years. And in my experience, once a battery starts to go, throttling doesn't help much. I think the tech world just accepted Apple's BS excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.