why you should look at current gen MBP battery life differently

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garyleecn, Nov 28, 2016.

1. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

come on guys, the current generation MacBooks charge off USB-C ports.
    and yes, USB battery packs won't be powerful enough to 'charge' the battery,
    but they will be enough to power the MacBooks, at least during light-to-average usage.

so yeah, when you are low on battery, just plug it into a battery pack, or any usb charger, it will last on you.

what? you edit 4k videos on the go constantly? and you are talking about battery life?

2. samparmenter macrumors 6502

Nah, there is an issue with it. Whether we can use a battery pack or not to help alleviate the issue is beside the point. A lightweight laptop is not lightweight if you need to carry a battery pack with you to use it. They advertise a battery life and they need to make sure you get that. I am happy to carry a battery pack if I am going to be doing intensive work for 10 hours+ but I want to be able to do 6 hours+ when I am actually doing stuff. I am not happy with 5-6 hours when browsing the web.

3. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Nobody needed it to the be thin enough to split atoms. Battery issue is entirely created by this ridiculous obsession to make the thing so thin that if you look at it end on you won't even see it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Isn't that the issue, Apple shrunk the battery size and while the Skylake chipset will offer some power savings, it's inadequate for many people doing work.

5. leman macrumors 604

I thought the benchmarks showed that the battery life was better than the previous model (at least talking about 15" model)? The compatibility with industry-standard battery packs is of course a nice plus.