Why you should upgrade to an iPad 2!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lewisozz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lewisozz macrumors member

lewisozz

A lot of people have said that the iPad 2 is great but if you have the iPad 1 then you don't need to upgrade. Having had the iPad 1 and recently upgraded I have found the iPad 2 to be a far more enjoyable device. Here's why...

1. It's fast

Thanks to the A5 chip the iPad 2 just seems to be more snappier, websites load that little but faster and without that little square grid when you scroll down, this may be down to the websites but I have defiantly noticed an improvement. Also try Infinity Blade on this device, it is a much smoother and enjoyable experience then on the iPad 1.

2. It just seems a lot thinner

I know it is not that much thinner then the iPad 1 but the curved edges give the illusion that it is much thinner especially if you get the white one. Making it more portable and just a little bit nicer to hold.

3. Lighter! Now my hand doesn't drop off (as much)

That little bit of weight they have managed to save has actually made a huge difference, it allows you to use it in more comfortable positions now and it is light enough to be held one handed if you have the arm muscles. It's still not 'Kindle' light but it is defiantly getting there.

4. FaceTime

I can finally video call, I know what you are thinking 'I never FaceTime on my iPhone 4' but let me tell you the bigger screen makes it so much easier and more natural to call and actually see people whilst talking to them. I don't know why but FaceTime defiantly feels so much better on a larger display.

5. Smart Covers

Ahh, I do love a cover when I see one! It protects the screen and manages to compliment the device as well. If you are worried about the back getting scratched then just flip it over! The magnets are just so cool as well, it is nice that you don't have to keep unlocking the device which means it allows you to do what you want to do quicker!

If you are waiting for the iPad 3 or or stuck with the iPad 1 then personally I would upgrade. The iPad 2 just seems so much more refined and way more enjoyable to use.

Anything I have missed out or do you disagree?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

4. FliByFow macrumors member

5. lewisozz, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

lewisozz thread starter macrumors member

lewisozz

Definitely, love my new iPad 2. Thanks for your replies!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I see you're in the UK. Did you pick up your ipad 2 at the recent riots?

7. FliByFow macrumors member

I was just quoting good ol' Steve.

8. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

10. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

None of your points make me either want or need to upgrade my iPad1. It's still a great device.

What the hell, Apple's marketing worked on you. I can't really brag, it worked on me, too. Hence, the iPad1.

11. superspartan macrumors member

Yeah the OP may be trying to justify his purchase. As an iPad 1 to 2 upgrader, it was one of the least exciting upgrades I've ever made. I wouldn't go so far as to say I regret my decision (got a very fair price from the 1 when I sold it), but it's basically the same experience as before. The cameras are okay for Skype, but otherwise a joke. The first gen never was a slouch when it comes to speed and the size/weight difference is negligible.

And if any iPad 1 users have held out this long, why wouldn't you ride it out until #3 comes along?

12. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I don't see any real need to upgrade from my 1 to a 2. The slight increase in speed and a camera I'll never use is no reason at all

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. no thank you.

facetime? yeah. i'll be sure to call all of myfriends, who have ipad2, and who use facetime. oh, and i'll spend 500 to do that. i am sure it is worth it :)

seriously, though, the ipad 2 is great. it just isn't upgradable great. if you want to purchase my ipad 1 off me for full price i will give it a think.

this is an old debate, made incasinglyirrelevant bytheipad 3 with quad cores, retina display, and faerie dust coming out in september.

14. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This. The "upgrade" wasn't enough of an upgrade to justify the price. No thanks.

Oooh, faerie dust?! Can't wait! :D

Seriously, when they upgrade the display to iPhone 4 quality--or as close as they can manage at a reasonable price--I'll upgrade. But things like cameras I'll never use just aren't worth spending extra cash on, and the speed increase between the two was really a fairly small incremental bump. When I sold my wifi only model to get a refurbed 3G, I had the option of going with the iPad 2 instead, and honestly, I wasn't even slightly tempted.

I just hope the 3 lives up to the hype of the rumors. Including that faerie dust option...

15. lewisozz thread starter macrumors member

lewisozz

I live in Scotland so there were no riots were I live!

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

did you go to london on a "business" trip, though?

17. 62tele macrumors 6502a

My iPad1 works great. I don't miss any of those features you describe. Yes, the iPad 2 is compelling but I can wait another 6 months or so for the faster, improved display version that is sure to come.
    The iPad 1 is certainly not a dog.

18. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks.....if you didn't do it, I was going to....of course maybe the OP has anger management problems and is "defiant" most of the time :p

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 2 and my parents have the original. I can definitely tell the speed difference when comparing the two side by side but using one solely I don't think you will be willing to tell a difference. I bet in a week you'll be used to the iPad 2 speed and not think it's as fast as you do now. While I love my iPad I do not think I would upgrade if I had the original.

20. RenoG macrumors 65816

I'm totally holding out for the ipad 3 I got to have that 'faerie' dust.:rolleyes:

21. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

I think I'll wait for iPad 5... :cool:

22. M-B-P macrumors regular

Finally!!!!!!

Your time has come!

23. terzinator macrumors 6502

Please tell me you've had this thread bookmarked for the past two years, waiting for this opportunity.

24. M-B-P macrumors regular

LOL, no. I was just searching the forums for threads about upgrading/selling old iPads and that post caught me eye. I couldn't resist the opportunity.