Why you switched from Windows to Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Oct 19, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Most have an interesting story behind that. What made you quit Windows and start using Mac?

And for those who have allways been using Mac OS, what made you choose Apple as your first PC, and why did you stick with it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Exposé I guess.
    And two failed HDDs in one Samsung notebook, though that has nothing to do with the OS, I just sold my Samsung notebook after the second repair and got an iBook, the toughest notebook I ever head (survived several falls and one water attack, though I could definitely see the Aqua inside the display) and the best OS ever written for my purposes (10.4).
    I also had a custom PC with 1.5GB RAM and a 2GHz CPU, double the amount of the iBook, and a very good GPU (crap for gaming, but wonderful for digital content creation), but I did the most on my iBook and sold the PC some months later.

Whenever I use Windows now (be it 5.1, 6 or 6.1) I get tired of its distracting colours and its crappy method to switch between dozens of windows or applications, which is why Exposé and Spaces are a god send for me, which again is the reason, why Lion is the worst OS X version since I switched, and I used 10.2 before.

3. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I didn't. I've never run Windows as my primary OS.

I did switch from Linux to OS X, though. I spent too much time trying to get laptops fully working under Linux (including decent power management) and was no longer interested in fiddling with the kernel and such. I switched to Mac since it was still Unix, but had good hardware support.

4. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Got a job as a Mac Genius so I had to switch. I love OSX and Windows equally but for different reasons.

5. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Tired of dealing with all the nonsense of Windows, the occasional freezing, hanging, unexplained behaviour that caused me to periodically reboot, constant updates that want to reboot, driver issues. Using a Mac is a much simpler, enjoyable experience.

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

When MS wanted me buy Vista and Win7 in order to update from XP to Win7 without losing my data at a cost of something like $350 only to find out I also need more ram on my aging pc at a cost of another $80. Then just before I spent the money my motherboard pooped the bed.

So being pissed at MS win7 upgrade path costs I moved to Apple. Sure short term more expensive than a new pc with Win7 but long term much more happier and probably cheaper.

7. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

My first Mac computer was a iMac 24" I switch because I though I give Leopard a try and I love Apple computers since.

8. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Apparently my thread has a better title

Long story short, I fell for the OS, and could not go back to using Windows. Detailed story below:

In 1999, I was 13 and got my first computer from my father (apple hater, god help him) At that time, I had no idea what Apple was, and although I do remember loving to watch that interesting crazy color monitors flying around, I had no idea what it was.

Around 2002, I got a "new super PC" from my father. It had a DVD drive (Wow!) and that was something I was looking for as I love movies…well, that thing never worked correctly, it crashed eveytime I tried to use it….it just didn't work

2004: I decide to get a computer for gaming. I had no idea what was each component piece in a computer, I did not know the names of the brands, I knew nothing. So I ask a friend…:

-I want a super computer, what do I do?
    -What do you want it for?
    -Gaming, and browsing the web.
    -Well, there are 2 types of computers, Mac and Windows. Are you ok with getting two computers, or only want one?
    -I just need one that does it all.
    -Well, mac is better for some stuff, but for gaming you have to go with windows, most games are not Mac compatible. You have to go with windows in your case
    -Ok, Windows then! Yahooo!

That was the first time I heard of Macs. I had heard of something called ipods….but no one, including ipod owners, were familiar with mac at the time.

So, I learn about the components of a computer, and I learn how to build one. I decided to check apple.com out of curiosity and I compared the a Mac with MHZ IBM CPU, vs the Intel 3.0 GHZ I was building. I remember thinking "God, Apple computers are crap, they are so far behind in power" …Again…lack of information…in addition, while selecting my PC parts and asking about macs, simply for learning purposes, I was told by PC vendors "Macs and PCs are incompatible. They don't talk to each other. You cant transfer files between them. Your printer wont work on them. Don't get it"

In 2005, I assemble my PC. Thats when more Windows problem start occurring. First of all, Windows XP does not install on a Sata Hard drive….after the 300th time, it works by miracle.

In late 2007, the Windows registry gets corrupted and booting is impossible…complete system crash. I fear losing ALL my data. Recovery companies want to charge me over ten thousand dollars to retrieve data…I decide to wait till technology is advanced enough so I can personally recover my data. (it was in RAID, I could not simply plug in to a different computer)

I decided that I needed another computer for current acess to the internet, and more over after repairing my PC, I needed a 2nd computer to have as a spare PC, in the case my Windows PC brake again for some reason, I would be able to acess the internet. Since I would rarely use it, it made no sense for me to buy a second computer. So I decided to get something different. I decided that it would be a notebook, and more over, I decided to get a Mac, cause I hear they were something different. It would be interesting to learn about this completly different thing.

So I got my first macbook early 2008, and I fell in love with the experience of using a Mac. Ultimately I decided to sell it cause I really loved the desgin of the Sony Vaio series, so I sold the macbook in 2009 and bought a Vaio. I remember being 100% sure of my choice, but I also knew I would miss the macbook.

Also, in 2009, Im able to fix my PC and get ALL my data back, by using a hack and loading windows on a USB stick and then acessing my RAID volume.

By then, I had been using a notebook as my primary PC for 2 years. so I decided to stick with that way, and have my original PC as a gamin machine only.

In early 2011 my Sony Vaio crashes, same windows registry problem. I learned my lesson from last time, everything was backed up. I reisntall the OS and start from scratch the same day. 1 month later, it crashes again….then I decide to go back to my original PC. No more repairing the notebook, gonna get a new computer (now to be left as spare). One more time, I decided to get a Mac as a spare computer, which I would probably turn on once a year.

Around this time, I decide to upgrade my PC water-cooling which was insanely big (it dated from 2005). I ordered overseas a compact that does the same thing. While waiting for it to arrive, I decided to use the Mac temporarily, as I sold the old water-cooling system, and therefore could not turn on my PC, or the CPU would explode.

This time, instead of a macbook, I got a MacMini, I liked the idea of having a PC the size and weight of a toast bread

And this time, I got the Magic Mouse to go with it. While "temporarily" using the Mac, it took me 3 days this time to realize that I could not go back to Windows. I would greatly miss the whole experience. This time, I discovered Dashboard, Expose and Spaces, features I always needed but I did not know it was there…..nobody ever told me….in my day to day basis, I constantly need to check the whether, translate text in other languages, convert metric units, scroll horizontally…I knew that Windows would be a terrible experience after tasting OS X in its full, I simply could not go back.

So I decided to be finally a Mac user. In addition, I decided to learn more about Apple and I started watching all Keynotes…man….Im so pissed I did not become a Mac user sooner….and it killed me to learn that those IBM processors were faster then the Intels. I also learned that the colored monitors were actually all in one computers by Apple. Had someone said that to me that that thing was a computer, I would laugh at him and explain it was just a monitor.

Again, lack of information is the reason why people still buy Windows…they don't know that something better is available.

Now, I upgraded my MacMini, and also got a white macbook for sentimental reasons, as it was my first mac computer. Besides, its nice to have a superdrive ready, should I ever need to borrow it with my MacMini

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This. I think this is THE feature I can't live without and makes it worth using OS X over Windows.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Price. Back in 2003, iBooks were cheaper than similar Windows laptops.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

12. lyunmac macrumors member

My linux pc stopped functioning and I didn't want to constantly use my 4-yr old windows 7 laptop because it would drain the battery even more. I wanted to try something new and save some desk space so I bought the 2011 mac mini. Happy with my choice.

13. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Never really switched, rather integrated Mac into my daily life since there are more Mac users now. I use W7 more than Mac but I could use either alone just fine. My use with computers are like how a mechanic makes his selection with specialty tools. For some stuff 1 platform is nicer to use than the other.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have used Linux for years. When I tried OS X and found out how much like Linux it is, without so much admin cruft, I switched. I never looked back. Well I looked back a couple of times when I came across things that allegedly require windows. So far in every case, I've been able to avoid putting Windows on my Mac. Except for Windows 8 in Virtualbox just to take a look.