Why'd Apple move away from smaller displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Novablas, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Novablas macrumors member

I can understand why they got rid of the 20 inch but why phase out the 23 and now the 24? I'm not exactly a pro user so 27 or 30 is just too big for my needs, 24 would be perfect but my 5 year old 20 inch ACD is still going strong so I don't need to replace it yet. However, when it finally is time I fear the stocks of the 24 inch led will be long gone. Is their soon to be offering of only 27 inch going to be a rule?

Was it unprofitable to offer choices?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I guess Apple didn't want to offer "cheap" 24" as 27" is now 999$ while 24" used to be 899$. 24" was always horribly overpriced, you could have gotten 3rd party monitor for half of what the Apple one cost. Maybe Apple couldn't see market for the 24" with the profit they wanted.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It's all about competition and the ability to sell it at the price they wanted like Hellhammer says.

It is way easier to sell a 27" display since there isn't very many of them on the market, than it is to sell a 24" display where every single manufacturer makes one.

When they started with the 23" ACD a long time ago, the market was much smaller because the panels were so expensive. These days they are incredibly cheap, so they can't really make the profits they want and still sell enough to justify it.

They could have kept selling the 24" along side the 27" but they'd have to cut the price by too much to make it worth it to them I guess.

4. psychometry macrumors regular

No one's making you buy Apple displays. Especially since you don't consider yourself a "professional" there's no reason to spend the premium on Apple hardware.

There are a hundred companies out there that sell quality displays in the exact size and resolution you're looking for far less money than Apple would ever sell them at.

5. Novablas thread starter macrumors member

Well if it's really possible to get a 24 inch LCD with LED backlight on the cheap, anyone have any recommendations? That big display thread here seems to be for just that, bigger displays.

6. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

The real question is why apple has moved away from bigger screens?
    I mean,no more 30"...
    And the only offering is a GLOSSY display!

Well,some would say if you are "professional" you would not use the apple displays for über color critical work as there are more suitable displays in the Eizos,lacies and Nec´s lineups.

That said, many of us use uses apples displays.

But yeah,interesting to see if apple will continue to make different sizes (be it 30" or smaller ones) or are they fading them out totally,as they dont see that they provide enough revenue.

7. Schismz macrumors regular

I use Cinema Displays, they're very nice, pleasant to look at and work with, and then pass the final result to the department that deals with color correction, not one of whom has a CD, it's all Eizo/Nano. Never actually sat in front of one of the new NECs, but they also seem pretty popular (notwithstanding all the issues people seem to be having trying to get them to work reliably with the new Mac Pros and Radeon cards).

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Many manufacturer are moving with the trend of 16:9 ratio displays. The ill-informed mass consumer economy is calling for lower resolutions at the same prices as before, so why wouldn't the manufacturer provide the same?

9. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Dells are good and cheap. Sammy's are excellent but cost a little more.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Not in every case, most of the displays around the size of mine are 1920x1080 instead of 1680x1050. Not much vertical increase but definitely a horizontal increase.

11. newmacuser23 macrumors member

The question I keep asking is why kill the 30 inch I would have waited to get a mac pro until next refresh but I wanted the 30 inch display so I had no choice.

I know there were other manufacturers but I wanted my system to be made of mostly apple hardware so if something goes wrong with any part of it (apart from my webcam and printer) I have only got to go to 1 company.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

As far as I am aware, the 30" (2560 x 1600) is still available through the Apple Store.

Although I cannot see it makes much of a difference from the 27" (2560 x 1440) which yet has to appear in the Apple Store.

I would expect the LED backlight to make a difference as well as it supporting a wider gamut than the, let's face it, old 30" Apple Cinema Display.