Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Except there is a world of friggin' difference in performance and value between 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace versus the case and screen of the AW.
Kinda... but the bottom of Shimano's range is below Tourney, not 105 (or Tiagra or Sora), and they can't exactly sell a Tourney derailleur for fifty cents. They have to make some money, even in bulk sales, and each product level needs to have a big enough gap from its neighbors. Otherwise, nobody would bother buying the mid-level stuff.

If we want to compare apples to apples, maybe it's more like comparing the Campagnolo Super/C Record gruppo against the gold plated anniversary limited editions of the same :)

I guess that's more like comparing the Apple Watch Edition to the SS. Of course the gold plated Campagnolo components were intended for show bikes only. Some would say the same about the Apple Watch Edition ;)

Reactions: exxxviii

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Ok I think some of you missed my intention.
I understand now why the Apple Watch is better than the Sport and why people would want to prefer that one. In my situation, I simply can't afford this one. No way. So what I'm wondering here is will it be worth it to spend money on that Sport model, or if I can't have the regular I better not spend money about it at all because it will look like a used toy some time later.
Buy the Apple Watch Sport and enjoy it. It'll be fine. Bash anything hard enough and it'll break. Yes, the stainless/sapphire model is the next level up in durability, but it's also in a different price category.

Buy the one you can afford and enjoy it.

If anyone expects a watch warn daily, exposed and out in the open, to remain in mint condition after a couple years of wear, then expectations are too high. The stainless may hold up a bit better, but the Sport isn't going to just fall apart one day. It's made out of the exact same materials as the iPhone 6S (same aluminum case, same glass display).

Reactions: ladytonya

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
If anyone expects a watch warn daily, exposed and out in the open, to remain in mint condition after a couple years of wear, then expectations are too high.
I'd say their lofty expectations are based on not having worn a wristwatch before.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone think 48G memory in iPhone is worth $100USD, please raise your hand?
And if you do raise your hand, you have no idea Apple always for years price their 2nd tier of same product significantly higher than 1st tier so they could earn larger profit margin on 2nd tier than 1st tier, and 3rd tier is even higher profit margin.
It is nothing new, and nothing new for Apple, or anything else in this world. You paid for luxury, and they still sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.