Wi-drive setup with internet pass through?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MrXiro, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Got a widrive today for my iPad. Liking it so far but can't seem to figure out how to connect the pass through to my airport extreme. It seems to connect but I can't surf the net while logged into the wi-drive.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I don't have one, but I have read some reviews that seem to indicate there's a problem with the internet sharing that won't let you use encryption on the "out" side of the connection. That is you can join a secure network with the Wi-Drive but the one it creates for your device to connect to needs to be unsecured. This seems to be a bug, as the device/software indicate that it should work, but it doesn't.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I had it unsecured at first and it didn't work... now that it's secure it definitely doesn't work... I'll try it unsecured again. Thanks!

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm keen on these drives as I have 6 iOS devices in my house (for four people, which is crazy, but there it is) so it would be sure useful for trips, etc without having to get bigger storage capacities for everyone. (Which is why I happened to read about some of the problems with the passthrough and encrypted networking).

Other than the passthrough issues, how do you like it? Is there a way to grab movie files off the drive and save them onto local storage of a media player (Apple's or third party)? That is, do you HAVE to stream content off it or can you move the file onto the iOS device for later local playback (and tehn deletion)?

Do any apps let you export contents to the drive? For example, is there a way to save photos from your Photo app to the drive? Let us know how the internet passthrough works out for you. Good luck!

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

You can import via the Wi-Drive app and keep files locally. I just did that... the transfer was really fast... this is a good device besides that I can't get internet to work on it while at home... but honestly I don't really need to use it at home either because I've got homeshare running anyway. I'll have to run to starbucks and give it a test at some point to see if it's not just a defective unit I have.

I haven't found any apps that let you grab files and store it onto the drive yet though... I haven't tried it but I would assume that you could move local files seen within the Wi-Drive app back over the drive... but it's kind of moot... as a basic device... used for sharing files it works great though!

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to keep an eye for a good deal on one of these. $90 for the 32gb is already pretty tempting!

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I thought I recall seeing somewhere that you have to enable pass through in the app itself. Not sure if that helps or not and it may not be called pass through.

8. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I just bought the 500 GB Seagate for $191 with BB rewards

9. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Got my 16gb one for 44 - 18 dollar amazon gift card... So aroun 26 bucks all said and done. It's not much memory. But good to keep a few extra movies on and cheaper than the 100 I'd have to give apple for that extra 16gb privilege (for a 32gb model from my 16)