Wi-Fi, 3G, BT enabling shortcuts

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Hexiii, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

There are many threads complaining about absence of some shortcuts for turning these on/off, but is there any reason for non-implementing it?

There are lots of people complaining about this and it would save so much time, but still after 5 iOS updates, they haven't added any easier located buttons for enabling these functions.

So the question is:

Is there any reason why Apple does not want to?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Simple. Apple doesn't want you to turn them on or off or have to worry about settings. They're going for ease and convenience for the average person who shouldn't care about what's turned on, off, or how/ why to change it themselves.

3. dzylon macrumors newbie

There's really no logical reason at all.

Apple doesn't need to "bog down" or "complicate" iOS in order to introduce these features. At the very least, they could offer a special, signed "advanced settings app" in the app store that allows these kinds of things, but they don't.

I think, in Apple's eyes, the word "advanced" should never go anywhere near the iOS interface. Everything should be as simple as possible, even for those that don't want things to be as simple as possible. I find this to be an idiotic policy, but Apple's made billions of dollars with it in place, so whatever.

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

What's not easy about settings > wi-fi and settings > general > cellular?

5. dzylon macrumors newbie

If you've ever jailbroken, you'd know that pulling down notification center and having all of your toggles right there in a row is a lot more convenient that trudging through several submenus in the settings app.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I've jailbroken many and the question still remains. It's not that hard to get into those two settings.

7. dzylon macrumors newbie

Driving a standard isn't that hard either, but look how common automatic transmissions are. If I've understood your posts correctly, you're saying "Who needs faster, more convenient features when the current system is functional?".

If your answer to the OP's question is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", then I'm afraid I can't agree with you.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I don't see a demand for a feature like this to be implemented. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

9. dzylon macrumors newbie

Of course it's in demand. SBSettings is one of the most popular iOS modifications of all time. Why do you think that is? (I use NCSettings, myself)

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

And what percentage of all iPhones sold are jailbroken?

11. dzylon macrumors newbie

What percentage of iPhone owners are aware of the jailbreak process?

And what percentage of those, after surely hearing some of the negative rep surrounding the jailbreak process, in addition to their own natural inhibitions regarding something considered "techy and complicated", decide to go through with the process anyway?

That's what you call the jailbroken demographic, which is certainly a minority. But do you believe that those iPhone owners not part of the jailbroken demograph wouldn't consider such a feature useful?

Regardless, the "jailbroken demographic" contains a hell of a lot of people. And a huge portion of those want this specific feature to be in place, which makes it a wise addition to iOS.

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I don't see a high enough demand for a feature like this to be implemented.

13. dzylon macrumors newbie

Fine. I just checked NCSetting's live download stats. The number is 6,779,686.

Now, consider this scenario: iOS has no native "pull down to refresh" feature. You must jailbreak your device and install a tweak to use it. That doesn't sound like the type of thing that would be in incredibly high demand, does it? But Apple implemented it anyway. Something doesn't need to have been requested by an enormous number of iOS users in order to be a worthwhile change.

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Although he mentioned easy in his opening post, I think he refers more to convenience. It's not hard to go into settings and submenus to enable wifi, cellular data, etc but it's much more convenient to have it say all in the notification center

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The first few generations of smartphones were not very good with power consumption. As a user you became conditioned to turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS to save battery.

Modern smartphones have more sophisticated batteries and technology making the need to turn these options off unnecessary.

The hard part is letting go of human habits. I still reboot my iphone 5 once a month out of habit :).

16. dzylon macrumors newbie

What technology, exactly? Can you give us some sort of citation regarding that? I notice much better battery life on my iPhone 4 when I disable certain connectivity features.

In theory, iOS could shut off certain components intelligently, but I don't believe that's the case.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The iPhone is focused around the user experience and designed to be fuss free. Unlike some older Android phones the user is not required to toggle these features on/off to conserve battery.

my iPhone 5 with Wifi, Bluetooth and LTE turned on ALL the time easily outlasts the HTC Evo 4G I used to own.

Is it the OS?
    Is it the battery?

Something has changed that makes these phones last longer. Look at the battery life of a Galaxy S2 vs the S3.

18. dzylon macrumors newbie

Hm. I'd love to hear the science behind why that would be the case. Perhaps the components are more energy-efficient nowadays? If that's the case, disabling them would still save battery life.

Also, what's up with the wording "unlike some older Android phones"? Turning off 3g, wi-fi, and bluetooth conserves the battery on older iPhones (my iPhone 4, for instance) as well.

19. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

regardless of how advanced these technology have become, turning off these options still saves a lot of battery. It will remain this way until battery technology improves significantly

The difference between edge and 3G or 3G versus LTE could be an entire hour or two that your phone could be on before the battery dies. (as in my case for the edge vs 3G)

Look at GPS for example, that still sucks up a ton of battery

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is what my daily usage looks like with Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS and LTE being on always

6:30am- I wake up for work and take my phone off the charger

7:15-8:00am I listen to music in the car on the way to work over bluetooth

8:00-5:00pm My phone is constantly waking up because I have exchange e-mails pushed to it.

5:00-6:00pm- I stream TwitTV podcasts on the way home from work.

6:00pm I am at home and still have 45-50% battery life left... Some nights I wont even charge it over night but charge it on the way to work in the morning.

now either I don't talk as much as some people do on the phone (because I mostly text) or I don't play games or read on my phone like most people do.

I really don't see a need to turn these features off unless I know for a fact that I wont be near a charger for more than 12 hours.

----------

Go to settings > privacy > location services in iOS 6.

Apps that have a grey arrow next to them indicate that they used GPS at some point recently (could be a few hours, few minutes,)

Apps that have a purple arrow next to them indicate GPS is in use right now by that app.

in my current list the hits are on maps, find friends, opensignal. I used all 3 of those apps today. Nothing else has used GPS. The idea that having GPS turned on means its going to drain battery is not true.

Now if you read recent posts you'd see users complaining about Google Now..because that app always triggers the GPS arrow indicating it's always checking where you are. This constant use of GPS would definately drain battery.

21. pearmain macrumors newbie

my iphone has jailbroken and I use NC Setting :D

22. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Do we really need ANOTHER thread to ask this question?!

23. jaymzuk macrumors regular

In all fairness, that's like saying that there's no demand for the internet because you took a straw poll of the Amish community