Wi-Fi/3G/FaceTime question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EllieV, Jun 8, 2010.

1. EllieV macrumors 6502

Since FaceTime uses Wi-Fi, I am assuming it will not count as data usage, right?
    and
    (Sorry, I have never owned an iPhone)
    If you turn 3G off and are on Wi-Fi, because you are surfing and don't want to exceed data, do you still receive (and make) calls?

2. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

it will not count as data, but the jailbreak devs will probably fix this when releasing the ios4 jailbreak so that we can use the facetime on the 3G network

3. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Correct, over wifi does not count towards data usage.

4. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You!
    (personally, I am not into the jailbreaking stuff, because wouldn't Apple get mad if they found out you have jailbroken?/how many people jailbreak their iPhones/ iPod Touches (is there a statistic or something, or like is it common) ?

Do you know anything about the second question (about calls and Wi-Fi)

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

u cant use it over 3g anyway they wont let u, no mater what wifi wont count as dada usage . but like someone else said our jail-breaky friends will probably fix this:D

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Sorry off topic but I found it funny reading the part where you were saying won't apple get mad at me for jailbreaking. Seems like companies are turning into a persona of parental units.

And yea wifi is not part of the cellular network therefore not going to deduct from your data limit

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The BIG question is will it count as phone minutes. It looks like you have to actually make a call for FaceTime to work but after you switch from phone voice to IP FaceTime does the phone line stay open the whole time you are on FaceTime?

8. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

WHAT??? Are you serious? :confused:

No they won't get mad. If you ever have to take it back just do a restore for God sakes. I mean really why would I fear him. I bought it and I don't plan to fully use mine until it is jailbroken (Google Voice with number on A-list FTW)

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

My concern with it is what happens if Wi-Fi disconnects for a second? We will obviously be switched to 3G, so I am guessing that we will be disconnected. It would be good if it just switched to a regular phone call then, as that can get annoying.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Sorry, no one has answered this yet. yes you CAN receive/make calls. technically you need zero data for phone calls (I have a feeling your current phone doesn't use data... and I bet you are making calls just fine! :p)

BUT, you mentioned you don't want to exceed data... I will just warn you that even with 3G turned OFF you still have the edge (2.5G) network activated. Currently there is NO way to turn this off without jailbreaking.

Of course the connection is much slower resulting in less data usage over the same amount of time. but it shouldn't use any data unless you browse the web, check your email, or use an app that connects to the internet. BUT I will warn you that I believe push notifications would still use (a very small amount) of data so if you truly needed to stop all data, I would recommend turning that off.

I have no idea of the percentages, but the percentage of them HERE at macrumors is MUCH MUCH higher than iphone users across the board. Just know that. I tried it once and decided I didn't need it. It's a hassle because you have to re-jailbreak it for each software update. and yes technically apple doesn't allow it, but as long as your restore no one will ever know that you had jailbroken it. Unless you are a major techie or have some specific need that isn't addressed without jailbreaking, I'd recommend staying away. But if you do, take your time and research it. I do believe it has gotten a LOT easier than it used to be.

interesting thought..... My guess would be that it switches back to a regular phone call... but as stated above I wonder how facetalk works with your minutes...

On another note, are iphone 4 users going to be able to talk to other phone users at some point in the future? Plus what is stopping a iphone 4 to iphone 3gs facetalk where the video is only transmitted one way?

11. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

If you turn 3G off and are on Wi-Fi, because you are surfing and don't want to exceed data, do you still receive (and make) calls?

^^^Can someone please answer my second question?

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Dude, I just did. haha :cool:

13. brandonhodge macrumors newbie

facetalk won't have any affect on your minutes. facetalk is only iphone 4 to iphone 4, which in essence is at&t to at&t. and network to network is free, so facetalk wont do anything to your minutes or usage. and yes if wi-fi drops then its simply a regular call and i assume you can video again once you re-connect

14. nabechu macrumors 6502

Turning 3g off makes the phone connect to edge, so you'll still receive phone calls.