Wi-Fi Airport Extreme HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dochutch, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dochutch macrumors newbie

I am going to a college next year and my room will have Ethernet connection but no wifi, all my devices run on wifi including my printer. I can not hook up a wifi router to the network because the IT admin will see it and shut my connection off. I have heard you can make your iMac the Internet host and then feed it to the airport extreme and make a closed wifi that won't be seen through the network. Does anyone know how to do this please HELP! And please put it in dummy form.

2. dduggan macrumors newbie

Any type of WiFi is going to be detectable if the college IT admin are monitoring...

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I strongly advice against breaking the rules.

That said, running a WiFi network that isn't attached to any other network would probably be OK. It would let you have a local network and allow you to print etc, but no Internet or other network access for the devices. Would that be an option worth investigating?

4. dduggan macrumors newbie

If you plugged your Mac directly into the Ethernet port, you can configure it to share that connection via it's Airport card - as an ad-hoc network. Your other WiFi devices would then be able to connect to your Mac for the duration required and you can turn it off again when you're finished.

Just don't name the WiFi connection something daft like "Dochutch's WiFi - Room 123" :p

5. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

The best way to do it (the way I did it in the dorms), is to just plug your router up to the ethernet jack in the room and configure your router to split that IP again using DHCP. Then you go into your AirPort Utility and configure your network so that the SSID is hidden and your network is password protected. I guarantee you that the school's IT department has better things to do than to crack down on a hidden WIFI network in a dorm. If you hide the SSID, they have to use a sniffer and figure out where it's coming from, even then, it's just way too much work. University IT people are lazy.