Wi FI and Cell Phone Booster?! What?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eljanitor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

So I was asked to look for a 802.11N wireless repeater, that also boosts cell phone signals. Now wait not so you can use your smart phone on your network. NO NO it has to boost your carriers signal so you get the signal in a canyon home boosted, and it has to be a 802.11 WiFi internet repeater too.

I know they make both of these devices separately, but I have NEVER heard of a combo device. I could use any help if somone knows of such a beast.

:confused:

2. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Who asked you? Your job? If so, they have no idea what you do apparently. They need to speak with network engineering.

There is no combo device out there for this. Two VERY different bands we are talking about. Also, your post gave me cancer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did they also ask you to look for a left-handed, green-haired, German-speaking unicorn who does tax returns? If so, you're likely to find that before you find the other. Whoever asked you to look for it doesn't know what they're talking about.

4. eljanitor, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yeah I arrived at the jobsite to find that such a device does exist. Problem being it's not quite cut out for the task at hand. It's a cell phone signal booster, and WiFi 802.11 N router combo that only works if you are using that particular carrier. Only boosts 4 phones max at one time and only for this carrier. Not quite commercial grade stuff here.

It's an AT&T 3G Microcell Wireless Booster[​IMG]

So..........nice try but not quite what is needed, it's kind of like bringing a tricycle to a drag race expecting to win, against Top fuel funny car. They need all possible carriers signals boosted. So again maybe they will listen and take my advice, because I told them this thing is a joke for what they need to do.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The AT&T 3G Microcell Wireless Booster doesn't do any form of WiFi for anything.

6. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'm not going to doubt you here. I opened the box, and after I read the manual it claims that it will also extend your current WiFi Network if you connect it to your current router/ modem to it. Even so this thing isn't going to work for what they need.

I'm talking about several thousand square feet of living space and a need to boost every carriers signal and repeat the WiFi throughout the same square footage.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

In my mother tongue, we have a word for that. It's a combination of the words stupid and cheap. The meaning would be something like don't try and save too much money because you'll gain a lot more from spending only a little bit more.