Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stacked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
At my office there is consistently no service through AT&T unless I step outside which as you all already know drains my battery.

Does the AT&T wifi calling feature negate the battery drain from no cell service since technically calls are routed over wifi and not the antenna ?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
At my office there is consistently no service through AT&T unless I step outside which as you all already know drains my battery.

Does the AT&T wifi calling feature negate the battery drain from no cell service since technically calls are routed over wifi and not the antenna ?

I can't speak directly to AT&T but I use WiFi calling with T-Mobile on my 6+ and have noticed no difference in battery drain or performance.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla

I don't believe so since it will continue to search for cell service, but if you turn airplane mode and wifi on, you can continue to make calls.

Reactions: Applejuiced

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
When I'm on the phone through wifi it seems to use less power, but not while the phone is in standby.

weslsew

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012

Yes. This is the best benefit of it. I've been using it and the phone uses the same amount of power as when you have full lte signal. It even turns off the cell signal indicator in the top left and just says att wifi

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Yes. This is the best benefit of it. I've been using it and the phone uses the same amount of power as when you have full lte signal. It even turns off the cell signal indicator in the top left and just says att wifi

This doesn't happen with T-Mobile Wi-Fi, odd. You have to enable Wi-Fi Calling, turn on Airplane Mode, then connect to Wi-Fi to disable the cellular radio.

How come AT&T automatically disables the cellular radio and T-Mobile doesn't?

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
This doesn't happen with T-Mobile Wi-Fi, odd. You have to enable Wi-Fi Calling, turn on Airplane Mode, then connect to Wi-Fi to disable the cellular radio.

When using Wi-Fi Calling, the network should change to "[carrier] WiFi" instead of the network name to tell you it's using WiFi not cellular

weslsew

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012

Actually, I think it only does that when I have no cell service. But I have noticed the wifi calling only kicks on when there is no or very low cell signal. If you live where you always have good cell signal, your phone may probably never use wifi calling.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas

I don't believe that's correct. I have T-Mobile and leave WiFi calling on at all times. Whenever I am out of range of WiFi or any WiFi signal (my home network, Starbucks, etc) cellular automatically kicks in and the LTE sign appears on the phone. There should be no need to even mess with Airplane Mode.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I don't believe that's correct. I have T-Mobile and leave WiFi calling on at all times. Whenever I am out of range of WiFi or any WiFi signal (my home network, Starbucks, etc) cellular automatically kicks in and the LTE sign appears on the phone. There should be no need to even mess with Airplane Mode.
Putting it in Airplane mode is just for test purposes to make sure it's working

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
When using Wi-Fi Calling, the network should change to "[carrier] WiFi" instead of the network name to tell you it's using WiFi not cellular

Actually, I think it only does that when I have no cell service. But I have noticed the wifi calling only kicks on when there is no or very low cell signal. If you live where you always have good cell signal, your phone may probably never use wifi calling.

I think you guys missed the point. If you leave both Cellular and Wi-Fi Calling on, and are within range of a Wi-Fi network and have Wi-Fi Calling capability, your phone still has its cellular radio activated (how do you think it still gives you a cellular strength reading?).

There is definitely a need to use Airplane Mode, especially in areas where cellular service is bad, but Wi-Fi is usable. If you're on one bar of cellular but connected to Wi-Fi and using Wi-Fi calling, you're still going to have more battery drain compared to if you disabled the cellular radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.