Wi Fi Confusing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ikklejo, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ikklejo macrumors regular

Hey everyone,
    I have my Ipod Touch and love it.
    Although I'm at work and try out the Wi Fi it comes up with a few networks i choose one and it says unable to join the network. Then at the top it shows 3 bars full and the network has a tick next to it but i cant on online?? Im a little confused by this, does anyone know what's happening??
    I know Wi Fi does work as i have tried it somewhere else.
    Also in the pub last night the manager says yes we have Wi Fi its free and when i try to connect same thing happens, its supplied by The Cloud which i didn't think was free??!!
    Thanks
    J

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

yeah, i don't think the touch's wi-fi is very good. I can't connect to a few networks aswell. I think there is a thread about this entitled something like "Why is the touch's wi-fi so touchy?" or something like that.

3. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks,
    I just went to see the IT guy at work and he said there is a hidden network which we added the setting, password etc and still says cant connect to server!!!!!

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yup... I made that thread... hehe.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Odd. Don't think I've ever had an issue with the WiFi, personally, except in making typos entering the WEP keys and such.

6. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

7. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

sadly ive tried that a few times and no luck, its finds IP address etc so i really dont know why it wont connect!?:(
    I thought maybe the Wi Fi here might not let unknown devices connect could that be why?? Does it know im a ipod not a computer!!??

8. dagored macrumors 65816

You should be able navigate to the wifi settings and select your network. Once network is selected, click on the blue triangle to the right of the network name and confirm that IP Adress is set to DHCP. You should now have an ip address that is in the same range as your router is set to distribute. 192.168.x.x, or 10.0.x.x or whatever was set in the router. The subnet and router value will fill in automatically, and there should now be a value set for DNS. If no value is filled in for DNS, click in the blank space where the value should be and fill in the same address listed for the router.
    Confirm that http Proxy is set to off.

If you are getting a value such as 169.x.x.x for your ip address on the ipod, try clicking on Renew Lease at the bottom of the screen.

Or try this: Change your DNS settings to those from OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Just click the blue arrow next to your network connection and add those IPs).

9. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

If i put the details up on here (ip address etc) could someone tell if they look ok or am i not meant to tell people that kind of info??

10. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

A lot of networks will show bars and connectivity but dont work. Its not the fault of your touch. These happen mostly in work wireless networks. With these networks, a log in is usually required even though it shows no password. Some networks are also peer to peer networks but dont show that. Hope that makes sense.

11. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

i know its a hidden wireless network at work as i went to see the it guy you gave me the network name and password so i got manually add it, but no luck yet:(
    im not blaming my ipod touch as i love it just really wanna connect while im at work and cant see why i cant if i have the info!!

12. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Work networks that require a username and password wont work. This is the case at my office. We log in with our username and password. This requires a computer. The touch basically connects to "simple" networks like ones that are unsecure or locked requiring a general password.

13. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

oh no thats a bummer:( i found somewhere to connect at the local sandwich shop, so looks like im gonna have to walk over there everyday instead!!:(

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I FIGURED OUT A FIX!!!

Go into Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

The iPod will reboot by itself and then I was able to connect to the router that I was previously unable to connect to.

15. carlgo macrumors 68000

Huh? Good thing I am not the Supreme Decider because everyone responsible for that would be locked in a room full of snakes until they came up with an on/off button solution.

16. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

By being able to connect do you mean it always showed bars up top but never actually worked?

17. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Is it dangerous to put this information up?

Resetting network settings didn't work:(

18. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Yeah, I just dont think it will work for the reasons i mentioned above. Trust me ive tried.

19. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

ok, ill leave it alone now, thanks for advise though:)
    J

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It actually worked. I was able to browse with Safari and I got a 192.168.x.x number

21. iTouchMyself macrumors newbie

iTouchMyself

Yeah or like we do here at work we only allow access to computers with pre-authorized MAC addresses/ranges or with security software pre-loaded, or else the server basically plays dead; and that's even for our wired connections, our wireless are even beyond that in which we add encryption too, but if that's not the issue, the other two might be.

Check with the IT guys and see if the local server/network hardware requires a handshake of some sort to get access.

PS, I also found it harder than other devices to connect to devices with no SSID with the iPtouch.