Wi Fi Connection

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JoeShades, Feb 2, 2019.

1. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I am having a strange problem since I got rid of my old router and got the Comcast X1 gateway. I don't keep my Apply TV 4th Gen connected to one TV. When I plug it in I often have to restart it multiple times to make any apps connect, but in my settings it says I am connected to my Wi Fi and my speed test app works but all other apps say no network detected, eventually it connects after i keep restarting. I do not have this problem with my Iphone, Ipod touch or Ipad, just the Apple Tv, does anyone know what could be wrong?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I had the same Wi-Fi problem when I was trying to set up a new ATV 4K. I tried setting it up using my iPhone which was connected to my home Wi-Fi network but this also failed. I could only complete the set up using a wired connection. Once I completed the set up, I was able to remove the Ethernet cable.

Is it possible that the ATV doesn't like the Comcast gateway? Is it possible to try another Wi-Fi router or connect to a phone hotspot?

3. JoeShades thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have not heard of anyone else with the comcast router having problems. I don't have another router to try. I am just assuming it is an Apple Tv issue. It is really strange how the speed test app works but no other app does For over a year now even when I had my old router the location services on the Apple Tv no longer work either. I may give Apple a call, I know trying comcast customer service is a complete waste of time

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

It is strange.

When I was setting up my new ATV 4k, I could see that it was connected to my Wi-Fi network and had an IP address but the ATV itself kept saying there was no internet connection.

5. JoeShades thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have an Ip address and strong signal, when I run the speed test I get around 400 Down but then I open you tube or another app and it says no internet connection