Wi-Fi Connects Then, Then Re-Connects Then Drops...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I just got my Wi-Fi dongle through the post, it came with the dongle (obviously) and the driver mini cd installer

I plugged the dongle in, installed the drivers, restarted my system, when I restarted it the little Network Utility UI comes up, I connected it to my home router. All was good, I was connected, went into safari to go online and it says failed to open page, you're not connected to the internet. I went back to the network utility and the connection was okay for about 5 seconds then it disconnected, then after a second or two, it would re connect and this would happen over and over and over again.

When I go into network diagnostics from safari it keeps saying, network settings changed, click here to proceed.

I'm in a seriously bad mood at the moment, please help before I go completely beserk.

Thanks guys

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Reinstall the utility? Is the dongle made by a no-name brand?

3. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, it was a cheap £10 dongle of eBay, the mini install CD's name is 'realtek drivers' though

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I suggest asking the seller if they accept returns. Being that it's a cheap dongle, it might not be the best quality, so it's causing problems.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You get what you pay for. Also, since it's a USB 1.1 model the dongle will only give you 802.11b speed. 11b is 11mbit/sec and USB 1.1 is 12mbit/sec.

6. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, I'll just pay the £15 for the Airport Extreme card now... It's just a nuisance having to be offline for another few days on my little Mac :(

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Lessons learned eh? That is why in my case, I try to put as original hardware as I can. At least I can have a piece of mind that when I install it, it will "just work".

Posting this by the way on my PM G4 with airport extreme and bluetooth card and connected to a wireless network from an airport express.