Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
So I got a new router from my ISP, so I removed my old router and just use theirs in stead. Now, on my iMac when Im streaming video (live.twit.tv to be exact) sometimes the video doesn't play as well. As if I dont have sufficient bandwidth. It always worked fine and my ISP promised me that my internet speeds are increased, so i should have even more bandwidth than i had before. However, I didn't have this problem before and now I do. Also, since I installed this new router sometimes pages load very fast in Chrome and sometimes it says 'Sending request... ' for ages and nothing happens. I try to load the page again and suddenly it works fine. So that might be a problem with the new router, I think

Recently I noticed that most of the time when the video is forced to re-buffer again , my iMac is not connected to wifi. Sometimes it will connect again by itself and sometimes I have to tell it to connect to my Wifi again.

So , is this my internet or something wrong with my iMac? Im currently streaming video on my MacBook pro which is just a few inches from my iMac and I haven't seen this problem yet.

Maybe their is something wrong with the Wi-Fi radio in my iMac?

Hopefully you guys can help me out on this one.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
I see that you are in the netherlands so you probably don't have the same router, but the one AT&T supplied me will cause this every once in a while to the point where it looses signal from the router and I have to turn off and back on the wifi on my iMac for it to work again. Whenever this starts happening I reset the router and it seems to go away for a month or so. Hope this helps.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I see that you are in the netherlands so you probably don't have the same router, but the one AT&T supplied me will cause this every once in a while to the point where it looses signal from the router and I have to turn off and back on the wifi on my iMac for it to work again. Whenever this starts happening I reset the router and it seems to go away for a month or so. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I'll definately look into that. I think I'll just install my old router again , which seemed to work best of all. But , why is this happening? What's up with the ' send request ' all of the sudden , too?

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
So I got a new router from my ISP, so I removed my old router and just use theirs in stead. Now, on my iMac when Im streaming video (live.twit.tv to be exact) sometimes the video doesn't play as well. As if I dont have sufficient bandwidth. It always worked fine and my ISP promised me that my internet speeds are increased, so i should have even more bandwidth than i had before. However, I didn't have this problem before and now I do. Also, since I installed this new router sometimes pages load very fast in Chrome and sometimes it says 'Sending request... ' for ages and nothing happens. I try to load the page again and suddenly it works fine. So that might be a problem with the new router, I think

Recently I noticed that most of the time when the video is forced to re-buffer again , my iMac is not connected to wifi. Sometimes it will connect again by itself and sometimes I have to tell it to connect to my Wifi again.

So , is this my internet or something wrong with my iMac? Im currently streaming video on my MacBook pro which is just a few inches from my iMac and I haven't seen this problem yet.

Maybe their is something wrong with the Wi-Fi radio in my iMac?

Hopefully you guys can help me out on this one.

First of all, bandwidth has nothing to do with your speed. Bandwidth is the internet cap (if you do), which specifies how much GB's of internet you have per month.

Second of all, are you using DSL or Cable internet?

Third of all, have you tried turning your router off for 10 seconds by taking off the AC adapter and putting it back in and seeing if any issues still arise?

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
First of all, bandwidth has nothing to do with your speed. Bandwidth is the internet cap (if you do), which specifies how much GB's of internet you have per month.

Second of all, are you using DSL or Cable internet?

Third of all, have you tried turning your router off for 10 seconds by taking off the AC adapter and putting it back in and seeing if any issues still arise?

I'm using cable internet. Yes I have tried resetting the router. Didn't help me very much.

It's weird to this problem does not occur on my MacBook Pro. At least I haven't seen it yet.

:confused:

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I'm using cable internet. Yes I have tried resetting the router. Didn't help me very much.

It's weird to this problem does not occur on my MacBook Pro. At least I haven't seen it yet.

:confused:

Have you tried hooking up the iMac via ethernet?

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
No. I can't do that , either. The router is downstairs, iMac is upstairs. i don't have a cable that long , and I can't run a cable trough my house.

Im hoping that when I connect my old Linksys router , this problem will just dissapear.

And by the way , your help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
you should try something like these i use these and there great they plug into your electric plug sockets so.....one close to your router and the other one near your imac jobs sorted :)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/belkin-gigabit-powerline-hd-av-adaptor-kit-09520263-pdt.html

Thats a great idea. Will look into that. But I'm more interested into restoring it to the way it was, before I got this problem.

And my iMac just did it again , the wifi disconnected and connected on its own again. My MacBook pro is right next to it and that machine is unaffected and has been streaming live.twit.tv for hours now , no hiccups.

I hope the WIFI radio in my iMac is not busted..

studentmac

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Bedfordshire, UK
My iMac has also been having wireless problems. Every now and then it will disconnect from my wireless and I have to manually connect it again.

My MacBook Pro and iPhone do not experience this problem, so Apple shall be getting a call in the morning.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I don't think it anything to do with the machines. I originally had a BT Homehub that dropped everytime I tried to do a time machine backup. I put it down to too much load on router. Bought a 5ghz belkin router and the problem went away and then when I got my iMac the problem reappeared after a while on the belkin router so factory reset that and works fine now.

I never found out for sure what was causing the issue but I suspect t was the QoS on the router and ive not used it since and all is good so I'd recommend factory resetting your router and if that doesn't work get a better router:)

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I don't think it anything to do with the machines. I originally had a BT Homehub that dropped everytime I tried to do a time machine backup. I put it down to too much load on router. Bought a 5ghz belkin router and the problem went away and then when I got my iMac the problem reappeared after a while on the belkin router so factory reset that and works fine now.

I never found out for sure what was causing the issue but I suspect t was the QoS on the router and ive not used it since and all is good so I'd recommend factory resetting your router and if that doesn't work get a better router:)

Yeah , thanks for the reply man. I think I am going to use my linksys N router again , hopefully that fixed the issue. Like i said, am using the ISP's router at the moment.

proost

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Hey - was this problem one of the issues with Lion? Noted in the news today that the update transmitted today was supposed to fix a squirrely wifi issue. I've had the same recently with Lion and my MBP? Installed the update. Will see.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Hey - was this problem one of the issues with Lion? Noted in the news today that the update transmitted today was supposed to fix a squirrely wifi issue. I've had the same recently with Lion and my MBP? Installed the update. Will see.

I had the same thought. On my MacBook wifi would randomly drop out for about 30 seconds and then reconnect. So far I haven't seen it happen yet since the update to 10.7.1 yesterday so hopefully they fixed it.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I believe it happens less with my linksys router plugged in , but it still happens from time to time. Not sure whats up?

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
Create a new user and see if it happens while logged in under this new user. I had this issue once years ago. I had no issues under the new user, and after some detective work, discovered it was a widget app that was causing all of the issues. Deleted the widget, and the issue was gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.