Wi-Fi Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

Taking our fam vaca this year to Hawaii. My daughter is 4 and hoping her iPad will help keep her entertained on the 7 hrs flight. Her iPad is only 16 GB so I'm thinking of getting a Wi-Fi Drive for the trip. Which brand works best with iOS and iTunes? How will I get our iTunes movies on the Wi-Fi drive? Thanks for any help.

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You will not get them to play together in iTunes-way. Meaning you can not play back movies from iPad's Videos app. That is because you will not be able to run iTunes on the WiFi drive. And iOS knows nothing about network drives/volumes, out of the box.
    There are file management apps on AppStore, that are able to access network files and play them back as well.
    You get the files onto drive using a computer. Eg WD Passport Wireless has also USB and SD card connections.
    You could also investigate the possibility to use iPad Camera Connection Kit, that would allow you to see movies on SD card via Photos app. At least that was possible with the CCK with old-style 30-pin connector. How's it with Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, I can not say.

3. broadbean macrumors 6502a

You could play iTunes purchased content, but using a 3rd party app and the device needs to be on iOS 7, not iOS 8.

Seagate Wireless Plus

LaCie Fuel

Both use essentially the same software as Seagate owns LaCie.

Other brands have similar ones too, but I've only used the Seagate.

But a 7 hour flight is not long - just ban her using the fast forward/skip function!

4. dyt1983, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Good call on making everything SD. Are SD version that much smaller? Now I lost the reason the get a wifi drive.

6. dyt1983, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

7. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a option in iTunes to DL SD?

8. broadbean macrumors 6502a

On the Mac, yes. Not sure if there's an option on the iPad.