Wi-Fi Dropout....how widespread?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saberon, May 5, 2010.

?

Have you had wifi dropping problems?

1. YES! My Wi-fi signal drops, have to turn off/on airport to fix

39 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Wifi has been rock solid, no Wifi problems to report!

91 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Okay, let me just be downright and honest. Got my tax return in Canada and have been looking to buy a MBP 13" 2010 model. However I have got myself so freaked out over these wifi dropping out (having to turn AP on/off to fix) that I'm not even sure I want one anymore!! It doesn't seem to be as badly widespread as the iPad wifi issues, but the fact that there are complaints has me concerned.

On the other hand I try to think, well Apple sells thousands of these units right? If it was some major issue there would be WAAAY more complaints and news sites covering apple news would be reporting this as a big issue right? People only go to forums to complain (for the most part), what about all the people who are happily using their mac's without issue?

So my question to you all is, what model do you have and do you have any of the wifi dropping issues?

Feel free to just vote and please do so honestly, and also if you would like to comment and add your opinion it would be greatly appreciated as well.

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

2009 Unibody MBPro. Never an issue - rock solid and strong reception.

3. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

on my 2008 imac i get wifi drop outs once per hour. not a big deal I just turn the airport on/off. Horrible for games though.

4. Yoley macrumors newbie

My Powerbook G4 used to have dropouts at least once per hour. My current Macbook Pro (i7) has not experienced any dropout yet.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

15" Core i7 MBP - no wireless drop outs at all. Been using it for almost a week straight solely on wireless.

6. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I have the 2010 13" MBP 2.4GHz and my wifi has been solid. I love this computer. Don't hesitate anymore. :D

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

My early 2008 MBP does this often. In fact today my laptop decided to tell me I did not have an airport card installed. I reset the pram three times before it started working again. This is the second time it has happened in the past 3 months.

8. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am a bit more concerned after reading the poll results...for those having problems what year of MBP do you have? 08/09/10?

What router is everyone using?

9. xaquaticx macrumors regular

My MBP 15" i5 drops out all the time.

This is pissing the crap out of me. I am going to be going to an Apple store this weekend.

PS the poll wouldn't let me vote but count me in as having major dropouts. MBP wifi is a JOKE.

10. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Mine gets messed up every two days about. Thinks it's connected, but it's not. On/off airport fixes it.

2010 15" i7, btw

11. cyclical macrumors regular

15" i7 – I've only had it for 4 days, but so far no issues with WiFi. MBP is paired with a D-Link DIR-655 rev.A4.

12. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

From what I've read this issue has to do with the router. This used to happen to me when I had a DLink. I replaced the DLink with a Time Capsule and my WiFi has been rock solid. This is an August 2009 17" MacBook Pro.

13. syfuman macrumors newbie

syfuman

15" i7 - rock solid on airport extreme base station.

14. Shouzen macrumors newbie

No problems here on various wireless networks (home/work/public wifi). Seems to almost exactly the same as my 13" 2008 unibody MB

15. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Late 2009 MB, and late 2009 iMac, No problems ever :D

16. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

My wifi is dropping on my 1 day old i7 MBP. I am calling Apple and will be sending it in as I know something is wrong with it (it is CTO so I can't just exchange it). I have owned/still own Powerbook Titanium G4 , first MBP, first unibody MBP (with removable battery) and my girlfriends MacBook. All of the cpus, except the new i7 work or have worked flawlessly with my wireless. So I know there is something wrong with my i7 :(

The wireless on my i7 keeps dropping. If I go to a site, say AT&T and go to log in, it wont log in, just spins. If I open a new window/tab it will open a new site. I can't play WoW through wireless on my i7. I can log in but can't play. On istatpro it routinely shows my input/output at 0. Many sites take forever to load or wont load...

17. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I also have a D-Link 655 with my mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I have not had a drop-out nor have had to restart the router in 7 months.

18. mbpjohnson macrumors member

I have a new 17 inch I-7 and was having drop offs every 20 30 mins with an att 2 wire router. I went down to the apple store and it was good on their wireless. Bought an airport extreme router and no problems since. I still wonder if I travel how it will behave on other systems.

Phil

19. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

i have the 655 at home, and a 1TB time capsule at work. WiFi has been rock solid on the new i7MBP. I'd even go as far as saying its performance is better than my rev a Macbook Air

20. jimba macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, first post for me in this great forum!

I've started experiencing some connection dropouts on my new mbp i5 after 3/4 days of usage hence I decided browsing the web to find a solution.

First of all I'd like to highlight this article which could help some of you out:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/24/myste...opouts-solved/

I discovered macs having troubles with dhcp so I tried setting up a location (system preferences - network - location) with a static ip.
    (check article comments too, some user solved dropouts setting ipv6: OFF and static ip)

If you need more info on how to do this feel free to ask, I'm still testing my settings but since this static ip location has been set up I didn't experience any dropouts.

I hope this helps and sorry for my english :)

21. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Auto Brightness

I have had consistent wifi signal strength fluctuations from day one of the iPad release.

After reading the Apple knowledge base article I turned off the auto-brightness setting on my iPad. This miraculously has taken care of my problem and the iPad connects at 10,000 kbps consistently.

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Two MBP's side by side attached to same router, same distance from router, etc. Also have a couple of Windows boxes doing likewise:

WinXP/Win7 boxes: No wifi dropouts. Solid.
    late 2006 MBP 15": No wifi dropouts. Solid.
    2010 i7 MBP: Drops Wifi about once per day. Every day.

Its not the router or all boxes would be dropping Wifi.

I've called Applecare and they have offered to fix it, which tells me it must be a known issue. I just am not yet annoyed enough to bother with it.

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's interesting. I've had absolutely no wifi drop outs and one of the first things I did when I got my i7 MBP was turn off the auto-brightness feature.

24. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

I called Applecare for my i7 and he was not so helpful. He had me try a bunch of stuff, with no fixes and is having me go into an Apple retail store. Oh well. It drops ALL the time, where wireless is unusable in some instances. Here is what mine is doing (posted earlier):

My wifi is dropping on my 1 day old i7 MBP. I am calling Apple and will be sending it in as I know something is wrong with it (it is CTO so I can't just exchange it). I have owned/still own Powerbook Titanium G4 , first MBP, first unibody MBP (with removable battery) and my girlfriends MacBook. All of the cpus, except the new i7 work or have worked flawlessly with my wireless. So I know there is something wrong with my i7

The wireless on my i7 keeps dropping. If I go to a site, say AT&T and go to log in, it wont log in, just spins. If I open a new window/tab it will open a new site. I can't play WoW through wireless on my i7. I can log in but can't play. On istatpro it routinely shows my input/output at 0. Many sites take forever to load or wont load...

25. DrVenture macrumors newbie

In order to provide some help it would be great to know the following:

1. What kind of wireless router are you using? Model -Rev. Number - Make- Firmware Version - FCCID

2. What kind of wireless security are you using?

3. Are you having issues on 2.4 or 5 Ghz or both?

4. When you say your Mac drops its connection, does the AirPort icon go grey or does it stay black?