Wi-fi External Drives without Mac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pugnut, Apr 20, 2012.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I am looking for an external drive that I can offload pictures to and maybe I am missing something , but most appear that you can not write to via the iPad or Iphone.

Anyone know of a solution?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You could always use something like Dropbox. If you are willing to pay for an external, you can get quite a bit of storage from Dropbox. As of now, you can get 50 GBs of storage for 99 a year. I'd also assume that's on top of your free space which you can get with referrals.

From Dropbox:

"Each friend you refer to Dropbox yields 500 MB of free space. In total, you can get up to 16 GB for Dropbox Basic accounts (for a total of 18 GB plus whatever other free space you've earned), and 32 GB for Dropbox Pro accounts (in addition to the amount you paid for already)."

3. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do not want to have to rely on a cell signal or a wi-fi connection to the network

4. big samm macrumors 65816

I have a portable wireless hard drive from Seagate,works great, but you cant write on the drive from the iPad... only from a computer.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I see. Since WiFi drives seem to not offer writing to, I figured this was your best shot.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've got an Airstash and file transfer is one way on that. I can slide an SD card into it from my camera and selectively transfer pics from that card over to my iDevice wirelessly, but I can't write to that card.

Somewhat odd since I can create subdirectories, etc. and move files around on the card. I just can't write to it.

8. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

9. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

so i've seen this drive by sea gate and i've seen another drive that is called the widrive its by kingston...do these devices need to be on a wireless network for me to steam from them or do they create their own that i can use to stream from when i'm not in range of a wireless network?...my other question is do either of these devices play the movies and shows that you've purchased on iTunes? or is it just your own movie files, like home movies?

also the cloudftp one...it looks like you could plug in any usb device and then stream from that...is it possible to plug in a hard drive that you have your iTunes library on and then stream right from that?

i have a need for being able to stream iTunes music and videos without being on a wifi network.