Wi-Fi External Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NStocks, Jun 24, 2012.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

I plan on buying the RMBP in a month or so, which only comes with 256GB Storage. Obviously I need an external drive and I placed an order for a Western digital 2TB from amazon at £90.00

However, I've just realised something: What if I want to access say a photo library whilst in the garden, or somewhere that I can be connected to my wifi network, but no plugged into the external hard drive.

Other than buying a portable hard drive or time capsule, what other reasonably priced 'wifi' (if that's the right term; I don't want to connect this thing to my router as it's not in my room), with at least 1TB storage?

Are these things even mass made? That is, a good priced external HD that require only a power cable to connect it to the network and no need to physically connect it to the internet?

Thank you

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

There are external drives that can connect to your router either via ethernet or USB making it accessible over Wi-Fi. Seagate offer this option particularly in their GoFlex range. I'm not sure of other brands.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I read that the go flex range are good for wife access, however they need to be plugged into the router itself don't they? I don't think network hard drives exist where you don't need to plug them into the router... It would be quite hard to make that work otherwise I guess!

4. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

Consider pickup up a NAS. There are affordable options from QNAP and Synology. You can also plug your existing USB HD into an Airport Extreme and get connectivity that way.

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Generally speaking yes, they need to be plugged into the router. If your router can reach your garden, you'll be able to access the drive.

Another option would be to go for a Wi-Fi drive that connects wirelessly to your existing network. Seagate offer the GoFlex Satellite for this method.

6. andrepelly macrumors newbie

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

In the OP, they are asking for non-time capsule ideas.

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yes, that would be perfect, however it's only 500GB :(. I think I'lll just make do with a wired option as it seems far more economical. (2TB for £90)

About time capsule: does that connect via wifi like the seagate satellite or must it be plugged into the router?

Thanks for your help :)

9. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

The Time Capsule is a router with a built-in drive for backups. Partitioning this drive would allow you to use it to access individual files.

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Here's a bring your own drive solution:
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10540

Or with storage built in:
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10520

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

12. yensteel, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

yensteel macrumors regular

If you have another computer, you can create a shared folder and connect your hard drive to it.

I was also thinking that Pogoplug might be an attractive solution for you. It's like the Lacie LaPlug but it's cheaper at $49.95 and compliments your WD 2TB.

http://pogoplug.com/

Cheap NAS solutions are slow and somewhat unresponsive compared to quality NAS drives, but I think it will work fine.

13. NStocks, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

This looks really good! I take it the only 'requirement' to use it anywhere connected to the internet is to ensure it's always turned on and connected to your own network?

EDIT: It looks like you have to use software on your mac to access the files... I don't think you can access it like a local storage like in the finder...

14. Presb macrumors newbie

fun

I've always found that my wife prefers access that is more personal than wifi. :)