Wi-Fi Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Willie5566, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Help!

I am sitting at families place and cannot get any apple products to connect to Wi-Fi. We have iPod Touch, 2 iPads, iPhone, MBP. Nothing connects. The one person with a PC connected right away. Is there something that we need to do to get connection. It is password protected but we have all entered the same password and only the PC is working.

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact router model do you have and what password protection is the router using (WEP, WPA, WPA2)? Can you connect the MBP via ethernet cable? Could it be, that the router limits the access via MAC addresses?

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do you have MAC Address filtering setup? What wireless router using what frequency/security is the wireless router using?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Clue Is

"I'm sitting at my families place"

To connect, you need their password and to join their network.

5. tmagman macrumors 6502

he covered the fact that they had all entered the password, and the pc machine had already connected.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

But not for his mac stuff.

7. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a motorola sbv5220 SURFboard cable modem provided by local cable company. I am really not sure about frequency or the Mac address thing. It was set up by cable provider so they did the settings. Why would you want to limit Mac addresses anyway???? If the person has the network password who cares what device they are using? I am sure this is ignorance on my part but that doesn't make any sense to me.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That is modem and not a wireless router. The ISP modem does one Ethernet port with ONE IP. A router (is your case a wireless router) should be connected to from the WAN port to the modem.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope

You are doing the right things, do your mac devices "See" the network?

10. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I stand corrected it is a Linksys 2.4 ghz wireless router.

----------

Yes the devices see the network.

I am seeing Mac Address and a Access Point MAC address. Does that do anything?

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What wireless security is the router running?

12. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Is that the same as Data Encryption? Where would I find that?

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Do You See A Network Name?

I ask because sometimes, you need to look at the wifi connections on your mac stuff....Make sure that "Ask to join" is ticked on your devices. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else.

14. Knuthf macrumors newbie

Blame it on Microsoft

So you see the SSID - and you have the passcode. You need a passcode if there is a "padlock" in Airport next to the network name - SSID.
    Your system administrator can use the MAC, and restrict access to just a list of MAC addresses. If this is the case, given the MAC addresses to the administrator, or connect to the router with a CAT5 cable, and access its WEB port and configure it.
    You either have WAP or WPE encryption - look for a padlock after the SSID in the Airport drop-down menu.
    The system administrator will have given a key, either as a sequence of hexadecimal characters or some insane key with more than 10 characters.

When all is proper, and you are certain that you have provided the correct key - Airport will handle channel, MAC and your routing to the net. A router is fully functional now, but Microsoft "invented" that they need a set of control packets to supply the same information as NETBIOS. So, your computer is waiting for DNS to give it an IP address - that comes now as a DHCP "packet" - just as in WINS. Only one DHCP server can provide the IP address, whereas any DNS could be used for the same. The next is the set-up of the radio connection, and since MS never implemented full tear-down of a connection, the router needs some extra packets that your MacBook does not understand at all. Neither does Androids or Symbian or Linux.

So, leave the Mac waiting,and reboot the router. When it is done in the right order, your Mac iOS, Android, Symbian and Linux will connect and get the IP address. Sometimes using fixed addresses avoids the problem - edit /etc/passwd - enter 10.0.0.47 MyMac, and drop the request for the IP address.

----------

It is encryption between your Mac and the router.
    WPA and WEP is a link encryption that is not more difficult to decipher than that I can hack a WPA network from my mobile that runs Linux. I doubt that Apple will endorse such an App..

Your Internet bank password must be encrypted differently, and so must your secure connection. Consider everything on Airport/WLAN/WiFi to be readable by others.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ask them! Look at the Windows machine that you said connected! It should not be hard!