Wi Fi help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tspot, Jan 25, 2009.

1. tspot macrumors newbie

My son got a iPod touch and we can't figure out how to connect to our wireless router. My laptop works fine and it's been some time when I set it up. I know very little about computers...... our network shows up under wi fi networks when I choose our network it asks for a password, this is the problem I don't know the password how do I find it.

Thanks

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I'm assuming this means that you've lost the password for your wifi connection with your home router. What you probably will want to do is log into the router itself and change that password. If this isn't the situation, you probably don't want to be fiddling with router settings as I suggest below.

This is not a first resort, but it is what I would do (maybe other people have ideas for finding the password to a router to which you are already connected?)

First (assuming that the original username/password remains on your router),you will want to look up what that username/password will be. Often searching for the make/model of the router with something about "default password" in Google will yield this information. Sometimes it is 'admin' and 'admin' or something like that. Once that's established, you can connect your laptop physically (with an ethernet cable). You can type in the router address (probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) into the web browser, where it should ask for this username and password set.

From there, depending on the router (manuals often available online), you can go into wireless settings (probably under a security tab) and change the password to something that you remember or write down. This will mean that you will have to reenter this password on your laptop when you connect wirelessly as it will have changed. I like to write the password (and username/password for the router itself) on a post-it note and attach it to the router itself, in case I forget.

You probably wouldn't need to actually physically connect the laptop, but it can keep you from accidentally password-ing yourself out of the wireless network.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes the routers have the default password shown on the bottom of the router - try looking at the router itself.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

agree.

a lot of new computers/routers etc etc when you have broadband installed comes ready secured. all you generally do it switch on and work away. these security passwords are usually written on a label somewhere on the router itself.

5. lou61166 macrumors newbie

Wi Fi help

You could also just reset the router back to factory settings,look for a small pin hole,use a paper clip,and just hold it for 5 to20 seconds.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

And then make sure to change that password to something you will actually remember, not a code like 90-arsg0-40855. Then you wont have to do this gain.