Wi-Fi in Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MBX, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

hi, all my drivers are properly setup and it's recognizing my network, however when i double-click on it to access it via wi-fi it doesn't allow me to type in the password or to access it. it simply gives a error-message that it couldn't connect.

but it does connect to a unprotected wi-fi network!

are there any settings to be made? i find it really odd that it won't access a password protected network (and allow me to put in my password) while it does connect to unprotected wi-fi.

any ideas?

2. nintendude macrumors 6502

make sure whatever kind of connection your router is set to your computer works with

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Can you elaborate?

What is there to do? Wi-fi is Wi-fi. My 2 Macs can pick up any wi-fi as long as i have the passwords to it.

Why can't Vista just connect to a password secured Wi-fi?

I logged into my routers web configuration and there is nothing specific about Mac or PC (Os-X and Windows) to be set.

Or what am i missing that is different in Windows and not as "pick wi-fi and play" as in Os-X?

4. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

*bump*

I'm really interested in the answer to this. Did you find an answer? Or does anyone else know?

I am currently using my MacMini as a wireless hub until we a dedicated router.
    I have it set up with a password, 40 bit encryption, 6 character password, which all four macs in the house can connect to, but the one Vista laptop and I think the XP laptop as well can not. They get an error.

What is the cure?