Wi-Fi iPad, iPhone Tethering and Unlimited iPhone Data

Discussion in 'iPad' started by telefoto, Mar 14, 2012.

1. telefoto macrumors newbie

I per-ordered a 32 GB Wi-Fi iPad; should I give up my grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan so I can enable tethering to the iPad? In looking at my AT&T plan history, I sometimes go over 1 GB/month data, but have never come clost to hitting 2 GB/month.

Since this is my first iPad, I'm not sure how I will use it, but I am guessing it will be mostly at home or at work, where I have wi-fi. If I am without wi-fi, I can tether to my iPhone, although I hear this can be a bit inconvenient and not a seamless process.

Or, do I just return the 32GB Wi-Fi model, wait it out and spend the extra cash to get one with LTE...Just trying to keep costs down and not keep things simple.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You would have to switch to the 5GB tethering plan on your phone. That may work for you since you seem to be a low data user. Just be aware that you won't ever be able to switch back to unlimited.

My (original) iPad is a wifi only. I do wish I had gotten the 3G, mainly because my office doesn't have any public wifi. For the most part I have been fine with the wifi only.

Enjoy your new toy!

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I wish I could use my iPad at work but even though they did not say it's not allowed I think it would look bad if I use my iPad at work. Just using my iPhone sometimes gets me looks so I just chose Wifi because of it.