Wi-fi is more like wi-lie

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jrok18, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jrok18 macrumors regular

sometimes it has the full signal but then when i access the web i get the message that im not connected so wtf? I haven't tried out my 2g yet but im sure they didn't fix the wifi so it would be better,stronger,faster .

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Have to ask, is it your own personal wifi or are you stealing it from a Neighbour?

3. YodaEXE macrumors member

Well, I've had zero problems with the wifi on my 2G Touch, and I routinely connect to several different access points a day. Sounds like it's a personal problem with your wireless to me.

4. jrok18 thread starter macrumors regular

Its my but it does it sometimes on my ipod. Anyways If it was my neighbors i don't think my cousins or grandmother would care if i stole their wifi.

5. Ezra12 macrumors member

So then thats must be it!!! Your getting it from your neighbor.......... Maybe that's why it's not working.... HMMMM I WONDER :confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. jrok18 thread starter macrumors regular

No i said its mine (BUT IF) it was my neighbors i don't think they would mine on behalf they r my cousins and grandmother . But the signals lies when im in a coffee shop ,out in town, Etc .

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The signal that you're trying to access might be protected. Most, if not all, routers have the option to allow a signal to be transmitted, but the internet itself won't be able to be accessed unless it's an 'authorised' machine.

8. ukitali macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. I can connect to the network but then when I go to Safari it doesn't work. Sometimes it works when I click on renew lease in the settings.

9. semin28 macrumors regular

I have this problem too. Sometimes I'll have full bars but nothing is loading. And I be on my home wifi the whole time when it does it.

10. jake921660 macrumors regular

I get this problem occasionally and I have worked out that it is a problem with the modem. The wireless router is working fine but when this happens I usually also have problems at the same time connecting with my computer, which is wired.

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

What's your point? You haven't tried it yet.

12. alexdog macrumors newbie

i ALSO have this problem. at my work theres 2 signals without passwords and it says i have full bars and everything it says cannot connect to server. also what does renew lease mean and do?

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Generally if you flick Wi-Fi off and on again it'll be fine. With my router here it sometimes takes upwards of 30 seconds to pull an IP before its ready to actually surf.

14. alexdog macrumors newbie

ill give that a try

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

This issue was addressed in an earlier thread. Someone pointed out that you can connect fine to a wireless network but still not get on the internet if the network is not currently linked to the internet. In other words, you can pick up a wireless signal that isn't currently connected to the internet.

16. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

I got that message when I hacked into a password-protected network. The password was the same as the network name. :apple:

17. sharp65 macrumors 6502

A lot of times my ipod thinks it has a signal and is connected to an access point when it's really not. I can't get it to forget the connection so it "connects" to it every now and then. I just try to ignore it.

18. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

Passwords not the only protection available. If they have MAC filtering enabled you'll show attached but get no IP address. Without the IP address, you can't access the Internet.

19. chilihead7 macrumors newbie

lol that sucks! you live next to your cousins and grandma...isnt that kinda like everybody loves raymond? lolol:apple: