Wi-Fi issues with New i-Pad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by edlsen, Mar 18, 2012.

1. edlsen macrumors newbie

I don't know what to think. I have been waiting for 8 months (date I decided to buy my first) for this thing to come out and I splurged and bought the 64 gb Verizon model.

I love the screen, I love the apps, I love everything about it except my wi-fi issues. I am trying to get a stable signal on my Netgear WNR2000v3 router that runs several devices in the house with out a hiccup.

It shows that it is connected to the network, I can download email, intermittently I can get something to open in Safari or Atomic browsers, iTunes will not open, Netflix will not connect, etc.

I jumped online and found out that this problem has been around as long as the first model.

I have tried every suggestion I could find from 2010 until now. I have followed all of the guides from Apple for different procedures and settings, I have followed others suggestions listed for tweaking things on my router,etc.

The one thing that has worked is to tether from my phone. Everything loads quickly and just how I expected. This kind of defeats the purpose of using wi-fi to save some money on cell costs. It costs $25 for me to use the phone to tether (if I get caught).

I have not activated a month of Verizon and wasn't really planning on doing so until I go on vacation in June.

I am not opposed to buying a new router, but this one isn't too old and it runs everything else okay. On top of that, I don't want to just throw money at it and have a new router act the same way.

Is anyone else experiencing the same fussy signal?

Does anyone have any suggestions that are out of the ordinary (that I might not have just found somewhere else online) that have worked for them?

What routers seem to be working okay? I'm pretty frustrated that I got an $800+ toy on Friday and I have worked all weekend on it, but haven't solved anything.

Thanks
    Jared

2. edlsen thread starter macrumors newbie

You can't tell me that in 459 views, no one is using a wireless router at home that is working so they can tell me what is working for them?

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I have an Apple Extreme at home works great. Work, we have a Netgear N which is new. In a couple of other offices d-link and ZERO issues on any of them. I have no model numbers to give you.

I have read that older Netgear's can be problematic.

4. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

I have a similar router here and haven't noticed issues. We have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and an iMac connected via wifi (mac pro, ps3 & TiVo connected via network cables) to the same router

5. ckiggins macrumors 6502

I have an Airport Extreme and used to have some Wifi problems. I finally followed some advice from the boards and set it up so that the Airport gives the iPad a static (reserved) IP address. No problems ever since. Did it with the new iPad as well.

6. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

I've had the same issues. Runs on wifi. Loses connection every 20mins sometimes. Not all the time. Never happened on my ipad2

7. Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

I've noticed an issue with wifi actually. Said I'm connected, but pages won't load, app store won't load etc. Did it this afternoon for about an hour. It would just stop connecting every few minutes even though it said it was connected. I rebooted my router (even though iphone, MBP had no issues) and turned theipad on and off and it's been fine since. If it happens again I'll worry there might be an issue, but for now I'll put it down to a blip.

8. eric1971 macrumors member

I have an older Netgear router. No problems with my new iPad. It actually does better than my MBP, which always drops the connection in one area in the bedroom.

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have an older Lynksys and the iPad3 has better reception than our previous iPad2

10. AAPLFAN macrumors member

Use a dual band router

I used to have the same issues where the ipad 1 would knock out the PCs and vice versa. It got so bad my cable company came out and could find nothing wrong and blamed it on Apple. Went back to Apple and they told me there is no issue but swapped it out anyway. No help. When ipad 2 came out I thought issue would be solved but it was the same deal.

So my router is one of those modem router combo provided by the cable company. It was some old 2007 Netgear model. Decided to exchange it for a regular modem and got a dual band Netgear N750. All PCs on 2.4 Mhz and all Apple devices (ipads and MBA) on the 5. Flawless now and blazing fast for all devices.

11. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I had this problem too, I started reading support forums etc. Then I just unplugged the router waited couple seconds and plugged it back in and I've had no trouble since. Weird, but it worked.

12. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I had a issue with LTE. try restarting.(credit to the member that helped me)

13. dgstan macrumors 6502a

IDK if this will help or not, but I used to have all kinds of trouble keeping my MB connected to my WiFi. If it went to sleep, it would not reattach to the network upon waking up.

What I ended up doing was turning all the security off on the router and then turning the MAC address filtering on so it only allowed connections to pre-entered MAC addresses. This solved the problem and it's worked fine ever since.

I know some people are paranoid about someone cloning one of the MAC addresses or that his setup is easier to hack, but I'm not worried about any of my neighbors. I like it, because whenever I get a new device, I just have to enter it's MAC address one time. I also figure if someone wanted to hack in, they wouldn't bother with my network, since there's plenty of unsecured networks within range.

You might want to try this type of setup, at least temporarily, to see if it works better for you.

14. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I'm running AP Extreme, and I noticed my i3 drops to 2 bars wi fi reception in my living room. Which is roughly 20-25 feet from my AP. I walk into the Kitchen which is about 10' and the wi fi jumps to full bar.

I pulled out my ipad 1 and I have full bars anywhere in my house.

Everything seems to be working fine but, I'll be watching for problems.