Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
My Internet data connection keeps dropping off.

From the wall the coax cable goes into a 5 - 2500 MHz splitter; one line enters the modem and thence into AirPort; the other goes into an television that is never on. When the data stops (and the modem data light goes dark, AirPort goes yellow) I unplug the modem, plug in back in and, that usually works for a few hours until the data stops again. However, when I remove the splitter and run the coax directly from the wall plate into the modem (then into the AirPort) all is well. At all times the AirPort wi-fi signal is strong.

There is abut eight feet of coiled excess coax cable between the splitter and the TV. Could that be enough to attenuate the signal to lose the data stream or is this simply a case of needing a new modem?

Either way I still hate Comcast. :D

awhitmer83

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Kentucky
I won't even get started on my feelings about Comcast. I just keep telling myself that someday another broadband provider will come to my area and all my problems will be solved...

I'd try a shorter coax cable first if possible, though I'm confused about why you're using a splitter if you never watch the TV. I have my modem and router in my kitchen, of all the random places, just because there's no TV there and I had an open cable outlet. Comcast does not play well with splitters in my experience.

How old is your modem? That's a possibility as well, but since it's the most expensive option I'd save it for last.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Check your splitter.

One side should have less of a dB drop then the other.
This is the side that should be connected to the cable modem.

Either way you sound like you are losing signal strength and the modem is dropping sync.

Make sure you are not using those junk slip on coax cables.

If that doesn't resolve it looks like a comcast service call is in order.
The customer service techs at the 800 # can check your signal strength right over the line to confirm.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I won't even get started on my feelings about Comcast. I just keep telling myself that someday another broadband provider will come to my area and all my problems will be solved...

I'd try a shorter coax cable first if possible, though I'm confused about why you're using a splitter if you never watch the TV. I have my modem and router in my kitchen, of all the random places, just because there's no TV there and I had an open cable outlet. Comcast does not play well with splitters in my experience.

How old is your modem? That's a possibility as well, but since it's the most expensive option I'd save it for last.

The wife wants the TV connected…so I obey :p

The modem is about four years old and I believe Comcast will exchange it since it is theirs.

----------

Check your splitter.

One side should have less of a dB drop then the other.
This is the side that should be connected to the cable modem.

Either way you sound like you are losing signal strength and the modem is dropping sync.

Make sure you are not using those junk slip on coax cables.

If that doesn't resolve it looks like a comcast service call is in order.
The customer service techs at the 800 # can check your signal strength right over the line to confirm.

Cheap splitter doesn't have dB on the case. Will ask for the signal check, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.