WI-FI issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by weezercleaver, Feb 12, 2009.

1. weezercleaver macrumors member

weezercleaver

I was at my friends house yesterday with my MB and my computer could not detect a WIFI network, even though there is one. My other friend that was there could not find a signal on his iPhone. Then the owner of the house said she has a friend with a MBP who also could not detect the network. everyone with a PC laptop could find it instantly. The only way to connect to the network is to type in the networks name to search for it, then it instantly connects. Also the same thing happens in my friends dorm where everyone with a mac has to type in the network name to detect a signal. What could be the issue with macs not finding certain networks? Other than these two places my MB has no problem finding wireless. Thanks!

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've seen this happen with my Linksys router. Was it a Linksys by chance? I believe (but can't fully remember) that updating the FW on my router helped with this.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Also, some PC are not up to speed with the Airport Extreme Wireless 802.11N, like most Mac computers. Some of those older routers are difficult to connect to, at least for me, and many times there are additional steps to go through, but I always seem to have a stronger WiFi signal reception than any of those PC folks...:)

4. weezercleaver thread starter macrumors member

weezercleaver

Thanks for the advice, no doubt about it though my mac gets much stronger reception than I ever had with my dell.