Wi-FI keeps on disconnecting

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mototriu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mototriu macrumors member

I got a new 4s about 2 months ago and ever since day one the wi-fi would occasionally disconnect after locking the phone. I decided to finally restore it form a backup today thinking it would fix the issue but it still disconnects. Is there anything I can do or is it just faulty hardware?

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

It disconnects when you lock your phone to save battery I think.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This ^^ as soon as you disengage the lockscreen, the Wifi connection becomes active again.

It is by design, not any type of issue.

4. mototriu thread starter macrumors member

The only problem is that most of the time it won't automatically reconnect. I always have to go into the setting and find my router again and wait for it to reconnect again.

5. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Im curious why they made it like this.. Wouldn't persistent connectivity save more battery? Or does WiFi go into a half-sleep-shutoff mode and turn back on when you wake the iPhone? Care to explain how it works?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Keeping the connection active wastes battery.

7. mototriu thread starter macrumors member

is there any way to force it to stay on and waste battery because im getting tired of always manually reconnecting the wi-fi.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think I had the same problem that you were suffering from.....

You need to disconnect and forget the existing WiFi network. Then open the settings app > WiFi > Choose 'Other' > Then type in the WiFi name and password information manually. It should then connect automatically every time.

It will still disconnect when locked, but should connect automatically when you resume.

9. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I used to have that issue with my old router. Ever since I bought a new one I haven't had any problems at all though, so your router might be the culprit....

10. mototriu thread starter macrumors member

I think that fixed my problem. Thank you.