Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dawgfan, Jun 4, 2012.

1. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Constantly cycling back and forth between On and Looking for Networks. Sometimes it's every 15 seconds or so.

Is there a setting I should change or is there a hardware problem. It happens at home and at work.

Is it hardware or software? Getting really annoying now. Thank you for any help!

2. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

As of this writing, there were 316 views. Either you were curious or have experienced the issue with no resolve.

Found out last night via the Knology tech who visited my home that the ARRIS modem/router was bad. He said he'd replaced about 50 of them so far. Unofficially, he did not recommend the device and suggested I purchase my own Motorola brand.

So it seems the device continuously searches for a network and displays what I mentioned above; however, the actual connectivity issue was due to another device.

3. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Maybe more than 316 views by now :D

I googled "wi-fi looking for networks" and this thread is on the first page.

Since doing a clean install of Moutain Lion on my 13" Late 2010 MacBook Air I have a similar problem:

Sometimes it takes three or more minutes for a list of available networks to show up. While I'm waiting the message "Wi-Fi: Looking for networks" appears in the menu. It's done this since about day one with the new OS. Doesn't do it every time or every place I go. Sometimes it connects instantly without any fanfare. Haven't been able to decipher the circumstances where it fails - usually when I need something quick :mad:

Any ideas are appreciated!

4. donald.t macrumors newbie

This problem occurs generally, but there is no any fix rule to resolve this issue.
    If you know the solution, please let me know.