Wi-Fi MacBook Pro Retina 2012 vs iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by jffluis, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jffluis macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi guys, I think I'm having some issues with my rMBP Wifi.
    In the same room with the same Wi-Fi network I got 30+ Mbps in Speedtest.net on iPad Air 2 and I got about 5 or less Mbps in my MBP.
    I think this is not normal, what is happening?
  2. DamnDJ macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I'm actually having a similar issue. I have a rMBP and a MacMini, basically sitting next to each other, both on the same 5Ghz network, and both using FileZilla. Connecting to an SFTP server I use, the MBP gets 1-3MB/sec while the MacMini gets 8MB/sec (more if I have multiple transfers going).

When I use Speedtest.net, my MacMini pins the needle at 120Mbps while the MacBook bounces around, ranging from 40Mbps to 80Mbps. Both are using the same Speedtest server in my area. I understand the Speedtests are not 100% realiable, but the SFTPing speeds on the same server is what bothers me most.

Only difference is that the Mini is on Mavericks and my MB is Yosemite. Tried removing/remaking the network profile and I even installed the latest 10.1.2 beta. It's baffling me. Tried two different routers (Netgear r7000 and Asus TM-AC1900) . Tried connecting to 2.4. Tried changing the channels, no difference. Not using QoS of any sort.
  3. dsemf macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Is Bluetooth enabled on the rMBP? If so, disable it and redo your tests.
  4. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2012
  5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    5 ghz or 2.4 ghz wifi? If it's on 2.4ghz, try switching to 5ghz.
  6. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2012
    Im not admin of Wi-Fi network and I think that the router dont support 5Ghz.