Wi-Fi mediacenter for mac...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ZballZ, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

This is kinda of topic; but don't really know whereelse to find this out. Some people here - at my favorite forum :D - might know something:

So I have a true HD flatscreen. Great.

I want a harddisk recorder.

I also want a blue-ray-dvd-player.

I also want to be able to wireless stream photos and film from my mac to the tv.

Now; all these gadget are out there. BUT I dont want to have 5 different things cramped up in front of a flat-tv !

Is there any single device, that hooks to your tv, has a built in harddisk for recording, has built in dvd (blue-ray?), AND Wifi for streaming from computer? And what would that be called?

** of course; in 5 years all flatscreen will have blue-ray-players, wifi and harddisk built in; but untill then... **

any help appreciated, links to other sites or anything...

THX

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

People will come here and give you all sorts of solution, but since I'm not really into watching telly, I wouldn't know where to begin.

However, I wonder why you want to have a bigger box (recorder) below the telly?
    There _has_ to be a Wi-Fi-only- thingy which allows you to hide the recorder somewhere else, and have _that_ stream to the the Wi-Fi receiver at the telly.

I'm not suggesting B&O, but they have these W-Fi transmitters/receivers (for audio only) so you can have the stereo/media server in one room/closet, add one wi-fi sender which then transmits to another transmitter in, say, your livingroom, connected to your speakers.

I'm not sure I'm able to convey what I mean on this front. By skimming my post it seems more complex than it really is –*I have to assume it's my lack of proficiency in english doing the trick :eek:

3. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Sure; if there is anyway that I could put the thing in a different room and go wi-fi to the tv - sure, I'm in...

B&O ... hmm ... very stylish, but I am looking for a cheapish solution :)

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can add an Elgato EyeTV tuner to your Mac and stream the recordings to a :apple:TV connected to your TV.

I think you are going to be stuck with a stand alone Blu-Ray player, unless you can stream recordings from a Mac to a PlayStation 3?

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

You're living in a dorm or what are you saying? :)

I expressedly said I wasn't recommending B&O. It was merely an example, and since the example used (again expressedly mentioned) does NOT stream video, I don't think I was suggesting you bought B&O.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Just found this, Nullriver MediaLink which integrates the Mac with the PlayStation 3.

With an Elgato Eye-TV connected to your Mac, this should cover everything you are asking for.

7. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

So If I had one of the Elgato boxes I could record HD content and stream it to my PS3 via Medialink (which I already have). It seems like I should also be able to do this without having to transcode yes?

Can the elgato boxes record onto external usb hard disks?

If I'm planning to do some amount of analog (i.e. VHS and standard-def DirecTV, etc) should I get the 250 box instead of the "hybrid"?

I'm planning to get Final Cut Express someday too, will it work with that as well?

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You could build your one little pc. It has everything, recording, blu-ray, photos, and a network. But you need to install windows for that. It's your choice.