Wi-Fi = no cables?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joefinan, Oct 3, 2007.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Does the wi-fi on the touch mean that you don't need to plug it in to your computer for it to sync the music, photos, iCal etc?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No. You still need to connect it with the 30-pin dock connector to charge and sync.

3. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Wi-Fi just means it can pick up on nearby wireless internet bubbles, essentially. Fi is spanish for something, dunno what.

5. CactusChef macrumors member

Fi might mean something in Spanish, but Fi is short for fidelity, and is a French word, not Spanish.

Wi-Fi = Wireless fidelity.

6. nlivo macrumors 6502a

get a zune and then give up the internet browser, youtube and iTunes store, oh and all the awesome features of the iPod touch and the multi-touch goodness so you can get wireless syncing.

7. supermeerkat macrumors newbie

Wi-Fi is unofficially known as Wireless Fidelity, but it is not a contraction of it. Clicky.

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

While being awesome, wouldn't it take forever? Also it'd mean EVERYONE would need wifi, which isn't the case. However USB is ubiquitous.

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

u really hate zunes dont u.

ive never actually held 1

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The sync speed of iPods isn't limited by the connection. When I sync my iPhone over USB 2, I get no more than 6MB/s, 1/10 the theoretical maximum.

Of course, I get no more than 2.5MB/s over wireless g, just over 1/3 the theoretical maximum. So USB is twice as fast, but it would be cool, if not that useful, to be able to sync without getting up from my couch.

On the other hand, I charge it almost every day (I can get 2-3 days without a recharge) so sync at the same time. You can't yet charge wirelessly.

11. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

I still don't understand what the big problem is with the lack of wi-fi syncing... Is it truly that much of an inconvenience to plug the 'Pod in via usb? You need to do it to charge the thing anyway.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I have trouble believe that 6M/s. just never appear to be that fast to me.

so? I just don't understand why people have to bundle "charging" and "syncing" together?

Necessity isn't equal as "convenience". We have a lot of things we don't NEED, altho they make our life easier.

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The technology is out there that will do this though. It would be great if you could just put your iPod on a pad on the desk which will inductively charge it while it synchronises VIA Wi-Fi.

14. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

One day we'll go wireless completely. Wireless charging, wireless AC adapters, wireless headphones, ah, technology.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

At that point you won't need an ipod, the music will just float from your computer directly into your brain. ;)

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

where is the play button? ;)

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Well, you just visualize a clickwheel in your head, and control it that way.

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It never gets over 6MB/s (from viewing Disk Activity in Activity Monitor). On average it's certainly less. I'll load a 1GB movie tonight when I'm at my Mac and see how long it takes.

6MB/s would be about 3 minutes per GB, which indeed seem fast when I think how long it took to fill up my 8GB iPhone, but I didn't actually time it. It wasn't a multiple of 20-25 minutes though.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

would love that... just wish they wont plant some evil stuff in my head. :D
    well, let us know the result when you done the test. :)

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

1450MB transferred in 7:20m, at an average rate of 3.3MB/s and peak of 5MB/s. This compares to 2:40m transferring to my iPod photo over firewire (peak 9.6MB/s) and 9:30m to another PC over wireless g.

So syncing over wireless wouldn't be too bad (like I said in my original post)

21. CTU Kyoto macrumors member

CTU Kyoto

Apparently the Zune needs to be docked to use the wireless syncing, so it doesn't sound like the feature is quite there yet anyway.

22. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

this is correct and those of us over 20 know that this originated in the 70's/80's when sound systems began improving on the quality of the sound and recording in stereo/quad. The High-Fidelity (or Hi-Fi) sound system was born.

23. nlivo macrumors 6502a

well i was reading gizmodo and engadget (they all hate anything to do with apple) and all the comments were praising the new zune's but it isnt just about the features. it really annoys me. It's the software and the way it works with the computer. iTunes is awesome. i have tried to use windows meida player and i threw up (i might make that my new signature)!!! iTunes is what makes the iPod so succesful. and no, i havent held a zune either. haha

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That could be a sign of a deeper medical issue. You really should go see a doctor!

25. Project macrumors 68020

Id love wifi syncing and glad that the Zune has it as it means Apple will implement it sooner rather than later. But feature wise, Safari + YouTube + iTWS kills it. There is no comparison.